What do you do when your 18 mo throws food, bottles, utensils off his highchair?

Is it appropriate to ignore this? Or take some kind of action? I know it's frustrating to me to keep picking it all up but it' s normal right? Or am I letting bad behavior run amok?

gummylump

Asked by gummylump at 2:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If they throw it once, they're done eating. I take everything away. I also say "NO" with a look of disgust so they know that it is wrong to throw stuff on the floor. It works, they learn eventually. Just have to be consistent. I have 6 kids btw.
    annjordan

Answer by annjordan at 2:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• If my daughter throws her food off her tray I tell her what she did was wrong and put her alone in her bed for a minute, then bring her back out. I usually end up waiting a while before I try and feed her again because she obviously isn't hungry. She is 15 months.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• i dont allow it i figure if my child is throwing things off his high chair and expeciasly food then hes done eating. I take his tray and have him get down and tell him we dont throw things at meal time. They are old enough you have to start teaching them that now or you will have a 3 year old sitting at the dinner table throwing food and what not off the table. its bad behavior. Befor about 18months i think its ok but at some point you have to start teaching them its not ok to do that.
    Anonymous

• My son does that. If he throws it its gone. There is no picking it up and saying "oh honey we dont do that". He gets a firm no with an explanation and is then removed from the table.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Omg my son has been doing this since 12 months and he is now 19 months and still wont stop ive tried all the above post answers and nothing works for me so if you find sumting let me knom.
    lorenzosgurl

Answer by lorenzosgurl at 2:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Throw it and it's gone.

Really ticked my boys off...they like their food. I only had to do it once or twice with each of them! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It depends on how you interpret his throwing his things. My Daughter did it all the time and it was a game. We didn't punish her about it because she really seemed to be playing. My DD now does it too but again it's playing. She loves her food and rarely throws any of that away! lol My son did it when he was done eating. To each their own. If it's something you feel should be stopped or isn't acceptable then give him a frim no! If he still does it then take it away when he does with a short simple explanation. It will take a while likely before he truly catches on. My DD bites me when she's nursing. I don't want to stop so I've been telling her no bitting. She now looks at me out of the corner of her eye with a very mischevious look on her face and gives me a nip. She know's!!! Little bugger! When she does it now I tell her no and then then take her away from my breast.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• well my son did it. the first few days i would just pick it up and give it back. (minus the food of course) but after a few days i noticed it was a game. and just stopped picking it up. i didnt say anything about it. didnt even pay attention. no acknowledgement what so ever. he finally stopped doing it because it was no longer fun. =] worked great for me.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 2:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• The first time they do it I tell them no and that they'll get time out the next time they do it. The next time they do it they get time out, and the next time they do it they're done eating. They still do it from time to time, but not nearly as often. Good luck!
    Ellena

Answer by Ellena at 3:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My Daughter started doing this when she was about 8 months old . now she is 13 months. now she does it in the store's i stoped giving her stuff but her dad does ....i tell her no , she doent get it back .and throwing food i take her food away . and after 2 min's in her chair she will stand up in it . i pop her diper tell her no put the belt tighter on her and she is so small she get out of it ... i wished i could help you but mine does the same ...
    IJM2508

Answer by IJM2508 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2009