After starting with rice cereal, when is it ok to move on to Stage 1 baby foods?

My daughter is 5 months and I plan on trying some rice cereal this weekend. The doctor has OK'd solids telling us to begin with rice cereal and progress to mashed peas, beans and carrots etc...How long did you wait to move from one food to the next?

BunintheOven1

Asked by BunintheOven1 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doctor told me to wait 2 weeks of the rice cereal and then once you start the foods to wait 3 days in between foods. For example, you start peas on Monday, wait three days to introduce carrots so you can watch for any allergies.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My son was 6 months old when we started it. We would try one thing at a time and wait a week before trying a new things. Doctors recommend starting solids (other than cereal) at 6 months. We started with rice cereal at close to 6 months and then went to the other grains before moving to veggies and fruits. Good luck but make sure and give it about a week between trying each new thing to watch for allergic reactions.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• You don't even have to start with rice cereal. Lots of babies hate it. The general idea is the rice cereal gets them used to eating solids (and it's somewhat familiar if you mix it with formula or breastmilk) and then when they get the hang of it you can switch. This didn't work for us... my second daughter especially was like 6 1/2 months old still seemingly unable to handle solids... it was just that she didn't like the cereal. We gave her stage 1 carrots and home pureed avocado and she all the sudden knew how to eat! Just introduce one food at a time, waiting 4-5 days before starting a new one to be sure about allergies
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I stayed on just the rice for about a month then I did a new food every week for the next month... I did avocado, apples, sweet potato and peas... After he was use to the idea of the foods I started giving him something new every 3-4 days
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:22 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My pediatrician said to give rice cereal until my baby learned to not do the tongue reflex where the push the food back out. He said as soon as they start taking the food from the spoon and it not dribbling back out to start the stage 1 foods.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:22 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Your supposed to wait at least one week between each new food you give them, to account for any allergic reaction they might have. So if you gave him rice cereal monday, you would wait till the next monday to give him mashed peas and so on and so forth. Some doctors say different wait times tho, so you might just want to call your pedi and talk to the nurse and see what they say.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 2:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2009