How early is to early to wean my dd from her bottle !

she will not use a paci or suck her thumb Im worried about the sucking need.. when do they stop NEEDing it? She is 11 months and is a horrible solid food eater and sleeper so her bottle is her sorce for food and sleep.. everyone says that i need to give her less formula so she will be hungry enough to actually EAT the solids not just play with it. So to do that I will have to limit her bottle to a couple times a day.. wich I know she should be doing anyway but shes not she eats like an infant still. Help any suggestions on a food schedule for an 11 month old

malissamom

Asked by malissamom at 2:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You're talking about two different things. Weaning from the bottle does not happen at the same time as solid feedings. She needs both. Start offering solids before the bottle at 3-4 of her feedings so that she'll get more solids. You can wean from the bottle at 12 months. I prefer to hold off until 15 months so that I'm sure they're getting all the nutrients they need, but that's also with eating 3 solid meals a day and 2 snacks.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• They dont NEED the sucking after 3 months but most still like it. I took my son off the bottle at 11 months and started using only sippy cups. I think at 11 months old my son was getting 6oz formula and cereal in the moring. A fruit and veggie and 4oz formula at lunch. fruit and cherios (or something like that) in the afternoon. Some sort of dinner (he was eating table food though) and 6oz formula before bed. Every child is different though so you have to find what works for her. I do a gree that she needs less formula and more food though, though I wouldnt be too concerned about it for another month or two. Most cultures dont start children on solid food until they are at least a year old.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I probably should have mentioned I did NOT ween from the bottle the same time I weened from formula. We stopped using the bottle at 11mos, we used formula unitl 16 months.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My son's ped said they aren't supposed to have more than 16 ounces of milk per day after they turn a year old, so I would start giving less milk and maybe some water in a sippy cup?
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 2:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• We weaned off the bottle at 6 months, giving formula in a sippy cup. By 9 months they were on all table foods so the pediatrician had us switch to milk at that time.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I STARTED INTRODUCING THE SIPPY AT 6 MONTH, NOW MY SON (10 MONTHS) ONLY USES A BOTTLE THREE TIMES A DAY, EATS SOLIDS OR SIPPY CUPS THE REST OF THE DAY, HE TOO DOES NOT SUCK THUMB OR PACI, DON'T GIVE THE BOTTLE CONSTANTLY. INTRODUCE SOLIDS, USE THE GRADUATES PUFFS, THATS AN EASY WAY TO INTRO THE SOLIDS, THEN GO TO OTHER LITTLE THINGS, PEACHES, PEARS, PEAS ETC.. START SMALL. DON'T EXPECT TOO MUCH TOO FAST.

WEAN FROM THE BOTTLE WHEN SHE IS EATTING MORE SOLIDS! 3/4 OF HER INTAKE SHOULD BE SOLIDS AT 11 MONTHS. TRY THIS, IF SHE DOESN'T LOOSE MORE THAN 2 LBS DURING THE INTRODUCTION OF SOLIDS, TAKE AWAY THE BOTTLE.
    Mrs.Williamson

Answer by Mrs.Williamson at 4:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2009