Do you nurse your baby to sleep or put him/her down awake?

BunintheOven1

Asked by BunintheOven1 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We used to put him down awake... now he won't go to sleep that way anymore. So he is either nursed to sleep (or bottle fed if he's with daddy) or rocked to sleep.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Put her down awake. She only cat naps after she eats, and if I move her, shell wake up.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 2:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I nursed both of my babies to sleep until about 4 months of age and then started training them to self-soothe by putting them down drowsy, but awake and happy! I recommend it! Then you don't have to try a million times to transfer them to bed without waking them, or feel forced to sleep with them (this is, of course, if you don't WANT to cosleep. It wasn't for me). And that way other people can put them to bed (my husband loves doing her bedtime ritual. He bathes her, I nurse her, he reads to her, then puts her to bed). Also that way once they have teeth you can wipe them or brush them before they go to bed.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I nursed mine to sleep until they were about a year old. Babies are designed to be nsed to sleep.
    Best bedtime routine ever!!
    People will tell you they will never learn to fall asleep on their own if you always nurse them to sleep, and that is complete nonsense :-)
    On the other hand, I had a hard time getting to sleep when I stopped nursing them to sleep because I didn't get that rush of calming hormones. The kids did just fine.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Both. She is fed before naps (unless she just konks out in the car or something!) and bed time. If she is not very interested in eating any more I will lay her down when she is awake. She fusses for a short while and then goes to sleep.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I nurse them to sleep.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2009