Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have information on helping me with my divorce. Husband has all money, cut me off unless I agree to his terms which are bogus 21 years of marriage, etc. he makes all the money and now I'm basically in poverty from a upper living style

How can I get money owned to me from spouse? He is making terms up and taking all monies away which he has and now left me nothing to live on or get my attorney a retainer fee? I feel lost and at my end.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • I'm sorry I'm not familiar with this type of thing. But are there no lawyers that will let you pay once you get your settlement? Thats the lawyer I would find, even if it means higher fee.

    Answer by MamaChamp at 2:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • Go to legal aid and talk with them or find a family lawyer in the phone book that says they give free consultations or go to a free legal website like (2 v's not a w) or and see if they have anything that helps. He's bullying you. My x made me sign something I didn't want to sign. I had to or get beaten. I signed then in court told the judge what happened and he threw out the paper as it was signed "under duress" therefore not valid in a court of law. For the most part he can't really make you sign any agreements that will hold up in court unless an attorney witnesses it. So, try to get an attorney and the attorney may take the fee out of settlement money like after the sale of a house or liquidating assets. Don't stop at the first one if you don't hear what you like. You keep trying until you find one that listens and will work for your interests and you get spousal support too

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • Do NOT let your husband do the terms!!! OF course it will be in his favor. GET A LAWYER. Believe it or not sometimes he has to pay for your lawyer as well. This ticks me off when men pull this crap. Call a divorce lawyer now and if they can not help you they WILL recommend one that can. Your husband can NOT get away with writting out the terms. SIGN NOTHING!! Even if you have already, CALL A LAWYER NOW. Good luck to you sweetie. Please call today.

    Answer by pnwmom at 2:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • you don't have to get a lawyer to do the divorce but you best be careful on what you do when you do it yourself. you are entitled to spousal maintenance and that is set based on his income so it doesn't much matter on the terms he is requesting when you guys are before a judge. so go file one and request that he be responsible for all the debts and look up the amount of spousal maintenance you'd get and ask for that amount and for the number of yrs you can get it for. if you have children then you request your the primary parent. it's really not that hard and if you don't have money for a lawyer you really have few options left to you.

    Answer by melody77 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • I agree, most all lawyers will take case and accept payments or get dh to pay for there fees. If it is his fault for divorce more of a reason he will have to pay for lawyer. So don't accept his terms. You have worked as hard as him. Don't let him screw you out of your half of EVERYTHING. Yes everything, house, car, furniture, ect. Even if you did not work out side the home you still worked keeping house, cooking , cleaning ect. So don't let him away with that crap. Of course he will be all for himself. Call a lawyer even if they will not take your case they will/can refer you to someone who would. Good luck!

    Answer by lovinmomto3 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.