What to do?

First of all, I would never EVER hurt my baby. But what do you do when you get so mad at your LO that you just want to throw them against the wall? And are these feelings normal for new moms?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• HAH omg thats so normal. You just need to take a little mommy chill out as I like to call it. Put the baby in their crib, or playpen if they are older and take a little chill break. Watch 10 minutes of a tv show you like or even go to the bathroom and wash your face and breath a little. The baby will be fine in the crib or playpen for a few minutes, and you need to take breaks. We are not meant to just go go go go 24/7.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 2:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• PPD maybe? Your LO isn't trying to upset you. Why are you getting "mad at them?" What are they doing? Crying?New babies cry because something is wrong. Maybe you should talk to your ped about acid reflux or colic?
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 2:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I'm a big fan of mommy time outs. Put your child in a safe spot (crib, play pen) with toys or whatever and leave the room for five minutes or so. It gives both of you time to calm down and recharge. A night out occasionally helps too.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Yes, pretty normal. The best thing to do is put baby in her crib and go downstairs, as far from her cries as possible, for a few minutes. She will be fine, and you need time to cool down. If you're having these feelings often, though, talk to your doc or midwife.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Maybe you should get some time for yourself away from the LO. Do you have a sitter or mother or mother in law or trustworthy neighbor or friend that could give you a break sometime. Maybe time away would help. With my first child I felt like that. With my second at times I did too. Third, Fourth, and the Fifth. All mothers need a break so we can unwind, breathe, time just for ourselves. Do something that relaxes you. Or something that you love.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 11:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009