how do you teach you 10 year old to repect others and their property. I have tried everything help

it does not seem to bother her if she hurt someone or break somthing that belong to someone esle . It's never her fault . You can put her on punishment, take things away from her and it doesn't seem to bother her at all . HELP !

beanhead411

Asked by beanhead411 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Certainly don't buy her any new toys or gadgets. Be consistent with the type of punishment you're going to use. Don't leave her unattended at the home of friends and family if she can't be trusted. Taking away some freedoms and privileges might be the only choice left.

Parenting and standards have to be consistent and agreed upon by both parents. It's rare that one parent can successfully do this on their own. It takes two.
    annjordan

Answer by annjordan at 2:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• When my son was 15, he let a "friend" talk him into sneaking out at night and cutting the tire on someones sports car. When we found out what he had done, my dh punished him then we put him in the car, made him take us to the house where the man lived. We made our son knock on the door, explain to the man what he had done, apologize and offer payment to fix the car. Which he did. I think kids need to fess up and make restitution for what is damaged. When my oldest brother was a teen, he stole some fishing lures from a Freds in our little town. When my mom found them, she put him in the car, took him back to the store and made him tell the mngr what he did. He never took anything again. My kids never egged houses and cars or rolled yards but if they ever did, I'd make them clean the mess up! I think it's wrong to allow them to be destructive like that. Stay on her. She'll learn. Good Luck
    grammijudi

Answer by grammijudi at 2:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I demand respect from my child and he has no choice but to respect me and other adults. It wasn't an option not to. Do not buy her anything until she learns how to respect others property, if she breaks something that belongs to someone else then SHE pays for the items, either with her allowance, birthday or holiday money or by doing chores for that person. She should write an apology to the person whom she disrespected, hurt or destroyed property. She has to learn to take responsibility for her actions. She needs to know that her poor choices and consequences. Be consisitent in punishment, take things away, keep her from her friends. Do not back down or you may end up with more trouble and she could end up in legal trouble,

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• no offense but this is something that should have been taught from a very young age not starting at 10. You'd have to watch her and catch her in the act now then react appropriately telling her that's not the right thing to do. Does she have any problems with understanding right from wrong or what you might be trying to teach her?

Answer by admckenzie at 10:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• When my son was 6, he disrespected the babysitter to the point that I had to come home from work. I took everything out of his room except for his bed and his clothes and he had to earn back the toys with extra chores and apologies. I then gave him an allowance--$1 for each day of the month. If he gets into trouble at school or is disrespectful or fails to do his chores then he loses his dollar for that day. At the end of the month we count up on the calendar how much he earned and how much he lost. This still works now that he is almost 10 and he counts on every single dollar! Last but not least, I enrolled my son in Tae-kwon-do where he cannot be promoted if he gets into trouble at home or school. He's got too many reasons to be good to get into trouble now.
    jenlin627

Answer by jenlin627 at 12:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2009