my daughter head is flat and her ears are sticking out,,,,help

im a new mom,my daughtr is 4months since she was born the doctor told me to lay her on her back,now she doesnt want to lay on her belly,she ll cry and cry....and she has no more hair on the back of her head,it falls off,and my other issue is her ears sicking out .what can i do please help people make fun of her flat head and ears....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There isnt anything you can do with her ears, but rotate her, you can lay her on her side so she isnt always laying on her back. Babies are going to cry when they are on their bellys, but you have to keep at it. It will help with her upper body strength. Good Luck. My son always slept on his back and had a flat spot on the right side of his head. We would just rotate him, and now he will only sleep on his stomach.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Well yes your baby needs to sleep on her back but she shouldnt be on her back at other times. Your doctor should have made this more clear to you. Give her tummy time..even if she hates it. You can play with her to distract her too. Sit on your back with your legs up and sit your baby on your legs, then do little crunches. She will feel like she's on a roller coaster. Put her on her tummy and give her toys to put in her mouth. Teething toys and things like that. Eventually her head will start to round out if you do these things.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I would speak with your pedi about it. If it is significantly flat then it may not round out on it's own. My dd had a neck muscle issue that caused her to sleep on only one side and that side of her head became flat. I did not feel that it would round out on it's own so we decided to get her a helmet to help fix it. I would check out this site and get some info and make some decisions for yourself. But I will tell you that her ears probably will never flatten back out. One of my dd's ears is higher and it will always be that way. Feel free to PM if you want any more info. GL!
    http://www.plagiosupport.org/types.htm
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Keep her off her head other than sleeping. Hold her and do more tummy time... she might cry but she will get used to it. Do it for a few minutes several times/day. They get flat heads from sitting in bouncy chairs, swings, car seats and sleeping that way all day long. Get her a crib toy or something so she look different directions when she is lying down and going to sleep.
    Not much you can do for her ears though.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• As long as the back of her head is symmetrical, she should be fine. As she gets older and her hair grows longer, nobody will even notice. My daughter is the same way. Definitely work, though, at getting her used to tummy time. Once she starts rolling, she'll be there anyway, but get down on the floor with her, use toys or bright objects to keep her attention. 10 minutes a time is really all that's necessary at first.

Something else you might want to try is a Bumbo seat. They are made for children 3 months and up and it lets them sit upright. She'll probably love it because she'll get a different view of the world from sitting up!! Walmart has them for around $35 or so.
    Anonymous

• It is from laying on her back all the time, she needs tummy time. She will cry until she is used to being on her tummy, it is something new to her. She needs to be on her tummy or her neck muscles will not develop and she won't be able to hold up her head. My son had tummy time from birth. The nurses put him on his tummy in the crib.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• The only time a baby should be flat on their back is while sleeping, or when riding in a car. I've never understood how a baby can get a flat head. Hold your child, hold her all the time if you have to, let her play on her belly. When my Lil was born she was in my arms almost 24 hours a day.
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 6:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My son had a flat head when he was younger. He hated being on his tummy or his side too. Finally we decided to buy him a cheap sleep positioner from Walmart, he hated it at first but then he got use to sleeping on his side. We used it until he learned how to squeeze out of it. His head is still a little more flat on the back but looks normal. I really wouldn't suggest holding her 24/7, some babies are harder to break of being held all the time than others when they're older. Of course all kids get to being toddlers and never want to be held so if want and can then go ahead. I'd try the sleep positioner even while she's awake or maybe get her a Jenny Jump-up (Johnny Jump-up for girls) if she's able to hold her head up. They do have helmets now that help shape babies' heads when they get flat but i'd wait to use that as a last resort. The bones in a babies head don't fuse together until 12-18 months so you have some time.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 7:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My babies head is flat too. Its very common for back sleepers. It is better for your baby to sleep on its back. My son gets tummy time every day he hates it too. He will tollerate about 5 to 10 minutes of it, and then Ill try again later. What I do is he always turns his head to the left when he sleeps so im constentally trying to turn his head to the right.hehe. Not always an easy task. And for the rude woman a few above me, a baby shouldnt be held 24/7. They need time on the floor to learn how to roll over and find their feet and so on. And for the working women, like me, I work fulltime,and so does my SO, and there are also chores to do, so we can not hold our baby all the time. He enjoys his time to play alone just as much as he enjoys being held.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 10:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2009