Would you buy "used" underwear for your potty training child?

I'm not talking about nasty, dirty, stained underwear -- that's just gross. I also would have never considered purchasing pre-owned undies before, but when you're potty training your toddler, you tend to go through ALOT of pairs of undies each day. Buying brand new undies for a toddler cost just as much as buying them for an older child and if you have to buy 20 or more pair, that can get expensive. I've noticed at a lot of consignment shops and on Ebay that you can purchase clean but preused undies for a fraction of the cost so I am wondering what other moms think of this. Would you buy the preowned, pre-used undies for your potty training child (provided they were very clean & free of any stains)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Never, ever. Would you wear used underwear? I am guessing not, so why make your child. Go to Walmart and get some cheapies for while they are still having accidents.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I am a CHEAP shopper. I buy LOTS at the thrift store.

BUT, I would never buy used undies. PERIOD. If I cant swing the price of a new packs of undies then I need to pull more hours at work or just go commando. lol

thats where I draw the line.

My motto is: New undies, or no undies at all! ;) lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Several things I won't buy used. Underwear, bras, shoes, car seats, mattresses.

Anonymous

• I'd steal new ones before I had to put used underwear on my son.
    MyBoyAndrew

Answer by MyBoyAndrew at 3:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• See, that was my thought on it too (KBoney29's answer) and always before in the past I've bought brand new every time. But I've noticed you can buy pre-owned pairs at children's consignment shops and on Ebay, so I was wondering what other moms thought about this.
    Anonymous

• only if they were used for a previous child. i wouldnt buy used underwear no matter how much it costs thats just unhygenic to me
    Anonymous

• i would NEVER buy used underwear under any circumstances
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 3:39 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Geez people get over yourselves. Not everyone has the money, even for cheepie walmart undies. I say go for it, girl- buy some used undies! You may wanna try www.diaperswappers.com for affordable, used, training pants. Plus the mommas there aren't so judgemental, and understand the concept of living within ones means.
    whohannah

Answer by whohannah at 10:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• just wash em in hot water with a splash of bleach... what's the big deal?
    whohannah

Answer by whohannah at 10:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Well you can't buy them on Ebay unless they changed their policy in the last week or they just haven't caught a few auctions going through. You can't even buy used cloth diapers because of their policy on used underwear (I know, my auction was just removed for used cloth diapers). Other consignment shops maybe.

I would and have done it only mine were hand me downs from family so I knew where they were coming from. I would just wash really with in hot water with vinegar or bleach a few times and dry in the sun to kill any possible bacteria. If you had asked me this before I cloth diapered I would have reacted the same way as these other mamas, but after cloth diapering and realizing how clean things get I changed my mind.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:02 AM on Mar. 20, 2009