Are there any black women on CM who garden or belong to gardening groups?

I'm just wondering...I belong to 2 gardening groups and I never see any black women post or respond. BTW, this is not intended to start DRAMA(because it's a "black" question).....I'm just asking......

marlarrie

Asked by marlarrie at 3:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I am sure there are other black women, but you should try to talk to the white women because there really is no difference.

Maybe if you cant find one you could start a black gardening group or just a black womens group and see who joins.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• No....I'm not trying to start a black gardeners group. And I know there's no difference between us in that aspect....Its just that I NEVER see any black women in the groups. Maybe they just don't like gardening.
    Sorry I even brought up the subject.
    marlarrie

Answer by marlarrie at 3:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• How do you know there are no black women in the groups? Not everbody advertises their skin color b/c not everybody is concerned with skin color, or, just the obvious, they're very concerned about advertising their skin color b/c of possible prejudice. Really, who cares anyway? What is the difference b/t someone who is white and gardens and someone who is black (or yellow or red or pink w/purple polkadots, for that matter) and gardens?
    Anonymous

• I'm sure there must be some black women who garden, but it's probably not a popular pastime for the African American community. I don't see a lot of black folks boating or yachting either. Yes, I know it's a stereotype, but stereotypes are always based on an element of truth. There's always exceptions, but, well, you know...
    PS-I don't take any offense to your question. I think you're asking more out of curiosity, not because you don't want to talk to whites about gardening.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Thank you Anon 8:43...
    Yes, I was asking out of curiosity. I'm glad you didn't make a big deal out of my question.
    marlarrie

Answer by marlarrie at 2:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2009