My daycare provider thinks my son has a language problem!

Hi! My son is 14 months old. We are raising him to speak Spanish and English. He recently got tubes put into his ears last month when the ENT found that he wasn't hearing clearly. He understands the basic things we tell/ask him, but he doesn't have any words yet. He says "uh-oh". He used to say "mama" and "dada" and "no" but he hasn't for weeks. He also constantly babbles and sings, and he can also sign a few words. I thought this was pretty normal for a 14 month old boy, but last week my home daycare provider expressed concern that he's behind in speaking, and should be evaluated by a specialist! This made me feel inadequate and freaked out! What if my son needs help and I'm not getting it for him! Am I over-reacting? If not, what the hell is her deal? I DO know that she has raised two daughters, and my son is the only boy in her daycare of little girls. He's the first boy she's watched for 2 years. Could that be it perhaps?

PotatoMama

Asked by PotatoMama at 3:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your baby boy sounds perfectly normal! A lot of kids don't say anything at 14 months. Our pediatrician said we should be understanding at least 10 words by 18 months. My twins are now 18 months; my daughter says way more than 10 words, but my son barely has 10 (he actually may be a few short of 10).
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• my son is delayed in speech. dont freak out but mention it to the dr at his next appointment. feel free to message me if you have any questions
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• he sounds fine! My son is 16 months and hasn't said a single word yet :)
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 3:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• FOURTEEN months and shes talking about a speech problem??? She needs to get a grip. The kid just had his first birthday. I am suprised if he says anything at all other than mama and dada. My son didn't talk at all until he was over 2. There was no need for him to because he had siblings. YEs, its different withboys and they do develop a bit slower than girls. I would let her know that you are dealing with it and leave it at that. Its none of her business what you decide to do about it. Next time youre in the docs office, ask him, but I am sure he will tell you to let him progress at his own pace. My son does have a speech delay but hes progressing just fine. I think your son sounds very normal.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• you shouldn't let a daycare provider or anyone else make you feel inadaquete about being a mom. Trust me I have been a mom for 14 years 3 kids and the first time my BEST friend told me my son might have a speech problem, I felt just like you. He did though, He spent 3 years in speech 30 mins a day at school and He's now a perfect brilliant 1o year old. I'm sure your baby is normal, she's no doctor, and if he's not well there could be worse things, right?
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I have twins that have been in the Early Intervention program for over 1 year. They see 13 therapists a week (mostly my son who has cerebral palsy), including a developmental and 2 speech therapists. I can tell you from all that I have learned, it is perfectly normal for a 14 month old to say only a few words. Developmentally, they expect 14 month olds to babble like they are having a conversation, but not actually say a lot of words.

My oldest was a very early talker(sentences by 1 year old). I was very surprised when I learned 13 years later that her talking was not the norm. Some kids just develop differently. No need to be concerned at this point.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• If your pediatrician or the ENT isn't worried about it, I wouldn't worry about it either. Just keep tabs on him, continue to talk, talk, talk, and read, read, read to him and give him some time.
    That said, it doesn't hurt to have an evaluation done and EI will come to your home.
    As a Spanish teacher I'm glad to hear you're raising your child to be bilingual. One of the best ways to do that is to have one parent speak Spanish exclusively with the child and the other parent speak English exclusively. The fact that your child is being raised in a bilingual household could also account for the "appearance" by some of a speech/lang delay. Think about it: language is a code and he's learning two. That's not a bad thing at all. It's a good thing. The young mind is perfect for learning languages and the younger children start the better!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• He may take longer to talk because of the hearing impairment. He is perfectly fine and normal. Don't stress about it. My 2.5 yr old still doesn't talk much. She understands everything. If you are really worried talk to a doctor about a sensory evaluation. That helped me with my daughter. It may be that his understaning level is higher than normal for his age and this can also cause issues to arise with their speach. What works for me is making a big deal with clapping, high-5's, and lots of praise when they say a new word or start saying a word on a regular basis. That's what her speach therapist has been doing. Goodluck
    mumummum

Answer by mumummum at 3:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My son is 22 months. His pediatrician suggested that he get help from a speech therapist.. He has had tubes since he was a year old. You are not inadaqaute because your child couldn't hear and may learn speaking at a slower pace. Especially since your child is only 14 months.. he is going at a good rate. It there is free speech class in your area for children like Heartland AEA, that we have, definatly take advantage of it because my son has started speaking alot, plus its fun to play with his teacher!
    MickeysMom19

Answer by MickeysMom19 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2009