Is there anyone who has a career as an accountant?

I am seriously thinking makin mine accounting, but I am just wondering how it is? What kind of skills do I need?

ReginaGallo

Asked by ReginaGallo at 3:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• You need to know how to add and subtract. That's not as sarcastic as it sounds. I did bookkeeping for ages and if you can move numbers for column 1 to column 2 you can pretty much be an accountant. My step-mother is a tax accountant, she does taxes for about 8 am to 10pm 7 days a week for 3 months, then works from, 9 to noon 4 days a week the rest of the year and makes more money than God! She went to college for accounting, but she's not a CPA. I asked her why once and she told me she didn't need it for the job she does and she must be right because she works from home, it's her business and she turns people away during this time of year. During the off season she does payroll and taxes for those who filed extensions. I took classes at adult ed for 6 months and got a bookkeeping job out of school. Sign up for the class now, take the H&R Block tax course in the fall, work for them for a season, you'll have it made.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 4:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I do.. Im a AP/AR clerk... An i love it...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• If you get a 4yr degree with a certain number of hours in accounting, you may want to check out State or Federal jobs in accounting. You don't need to work near as many hours and can earn as much or more than in the private sector. Some of the jobs in accounting titles aren't even heavy-duty accounting. Plus the benefits are often pretty good.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2009