Just a poll-type question for everyone

How many of you have been affected in your jobs this year? Whether it be cut in pay, cut in hours, lay-offs, etc. In addition, if you haven't been affected, how many people do you know who have? Where are you and/or the affected people you know from? Just general region is needed.

Our company was doing very well up until the end of January, then everything went downhill. People stopped buying, hours have been cut, lay-offs have happened and so far, there is no end in sight. So, just trying to see how many people are in the same boat out there. We are located in Northern Ohio.

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am in Northern NJ and things started getting bad for us last fall. We've been dealing with pay cuts every month.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My dh and I are teachers, so no issues yet. But they are talking about cutting hours in the school year or shortening the week, lengthening the days. So we are not sure what is coming.

My mother works at a newspaper and they are working day to day. At anytime they could waltz in and tell them that will be the last day of operation. My mother is worried.

We live in Alabama.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• For my husbands company it was either lay off 5 people (in a bout a 20 people company) or everyone take 1 day off a week. They opted for everyone to take the one day off. They JUST started back on 40's this past week thank goodness. We're lucky he works for a really awesome company who cares about their employees and their families.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Um that should be *about, not "a bout" also we live in FL and he works construction.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I am an electrical engineer and my company is in CO. We are only having cost cutting measures like hiring freeze, pay freeze, travel freeze, bonus freeze etc.. recently they announced everybody has to take 2 week furlough this year. We had one round of layoffs last october but nothing after that. Picture isn't too rosy, but atleast they are trying to limit layoffs by saving by other means...
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 3:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I am in SC and the worst we've had to deal with is my husband's bonuses are supposedly not as big as last year. I have family in central PA that have been laid off either because of less work for the company or the company closed that particular plant. My mother was living in NW Arkansas and her office closed. She had the option of staying with the company and transferring, which she did. She moved to San Antonio, TX. I was in the Navy and separated so I don't have a job and am not looking for one, either, because I'm pregnant and want to be a SAHM for a few years.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Ohh I must add, my husbands company on the other hand , had no problems what so ever as they are pharmaceutical company. He got big bonus and they are hiring and expanding.. so not everything is going south...
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 3:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I am in N Los Angeles County. Dh's company has closed one store and they just cut his hours by 10 OT hrs a paycheck. It's gonna hurt.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:59 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• The company I owned has gone down to less than half of what we did in 2007. We will be closing. I am looking for a job and can't find one (no, not even at the gas station by my house) and my hubs is having no luck either. I own a retail business, the retail sector was decimated by the end of '08. We cannot afford to go into debt and continue to lose money until the economy turns around.

I am now a member of several temp agencies and spend about 4 hours a day applying for jobs or interviewing. Even though there are plenty of companies not laying off, almost everyone is either not hiring, or only hiring part-time or for poor jobs with no benefits. I applied for many jobs that require a college degree and are only paying an hourly wage of 12 or 13 per hour, no benes.

Yep, I have been affected.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Because of the swift downturn in the housing market, we could not sell the house we moved out of, and after two years of paying for two mortgages while trying to sell EITHER the old home OR the new home, we went into foreclosure ... My husband was laid off last June, I was laid off in December. Yeah, we've been affected.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2009