ok, my 5 year old son has been acting out in school, and it just started like two weeks ago with a phone call, they say he hasn't been following directions and he's getting distracted. what could be causing this sudden change? (he was never like this at the beginning of school)

This just started two weeks ago, and i have no idea what is up. Is it just a phase? or does he need more attention? we have been giving him a lot of attention.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• adhd
    Anonymous

• How is his sleep? Is he sleeping enough and eating well?
    Anonymous

• I hate it when people JUMP to ADHD. Do people realize that mostly ALL four year olds have signs of adhd and many 5 years do too?

There is probably something else going on or some behavioral issues need to be handled.

Not medicated.
    Anonymous

• While the first person MAY be right and it's adhd, there are about a million other things it could be as well. Look closely at friends and family. Any major changes? New babies anywhere, marriages, divorces, anyone moving farther away or closer to you? Anyone been fighting? Does he have any friends that he fought with or stopped being friends with lately? Talk to the teacher. Find out what they are doing in class, if they've changed seating assignments, anything that could be causing him stress. Even simple little things that wouldn't bother you or me could seem gigantic to a 5 yr old. Talk to him. See if he can tell you why he is acting the way he is. Granted, most likely you'll hear "I don't know" or "Cause I wanted to" but you never know. If all else fails, then talk to his dr. to see if he has suggestions or advice.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• maybe have his eyes checked professionally. I know I started wearing glasses in 5th grade and when my vision started to go I acted out and stopped paying attention cause well I couldn't see the board. Just a suggestion and while yes it may be ADHD I think you should find other possible causes before that is even considered an issue. Is there family changes, bulling at school, friend problems, family illness? Could be a zillion thing him not being chanllenged with his work at school.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• He might just be bored! My 5 year old did this same thing, I spoke to the teacher, who is wonderful, and she started giving him slightly more difficult work, and he's been great ever since! Nothing might be wrong with him, he's just a kid.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 10:07 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• my son had same problem. he was diagnosed ADHD but it was 2 years before i even considered going with medication. I had his vision and hearing checked...he had to have tubes put in and his addenoids taken out. I also limited sugar and gave him an earlier bedtime so that he was getting more sleep. he has been on vyvanse for a year now and his teacher and i have seen a dramatic change in him. talked to him first, see whats going on with him...talk to the teacher see if there is a pattern with his behavior at school, and of course talk with his pediatrician as well. GOOD LUCK!!!
    breebers

Answer by breebers at 2:02 AM on Mar. 21, 2009