Non-spankers, do you ever consider spanking?

Non-spankers, do you consider it with one of your children b/c they just will not behave no matter what you try?

Or spankers...do you ever get worried that you will get in trouble for spanking as discipline?

What are your rules for spanking?
I would be nervous to spank b/c I came from a spanking home that would take it too far.
Do you spank if your child hurts their pet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you spank if your child hurts their pet?

What ?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• No, I would never consider spanking.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I spank but at the same time I teach. I tell them what they did wrong, HOW to do it right, and require a true apology. I always try to calm down before I spank. So that it doesnt get too far. I would never do that.

I have very well mannered children who do very well. And yes I would spank if they hurt our pet and knew better and were just being mean.
    Anonymous

• I have spanked my daughter but not very much. I usually just talk something away. Its that she know Im the boss and that I mean business, but I haven't had to use it much.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• *take
    sorry
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I believe that spanking does not correct the behavior in a long run. Of course, it does in a short run. But especially when they get older, don't you think they'll think "if I don't get caught, I'll be fine"? Spanking is to put a fear into getting caught. It doesn't promote good behavior.
    I'm from a spanking family, and my first impulse when my daughter misbehaves is to spank. So, yes, I think about spanking. I usually remind myself why spanking works (in a short run), and most of the time, it stops my urge. If I can't stop my urge, I say sorry, and move on. (I usually get calmly mad, so I hope my DD doesn't think I slap her out of anger...) Also, if my daughter mistreats our family pet, I would simply separate them and explain that she can't play with the pet since she doesn't know how to treat animals nicely. I don't believe spanking is the best method in that case especially.
    Meachan

Answer by Meachan at 5:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Dear God, yes. I do not spank but I have one child that tries my resolve.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 7:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• No. Because I have many more useful and effective means to teach him the right way to handle feelings by my example. When he threw his toy hammer across the room I didn't need to spank. I said, "look you hand Mommy your hammer but we don't throw." Then we practiced handing the hammer and other toys politely to each other. And then I explained why we hand and not throw. If I simply had said, "You know better than that!" and spanked he would have only learned hurt, frustration, and not how to appropriate use his toys. No, I don't think I need to spank at any time. Too many good lessons are missed out on by spanking. Missed opportunities.
    Anonymous

• i agree spanking is a short term answer to a long term problem. spanking doesnt help anyone but the spanker. you get over being mad quicker, but I do think about it at times. as far as hurting a pet, it is according to the age of the child. my 4 yr old doesnt know her own strength ha and may accidently hurt one of our dogs or cats but my 5 yr old is learning restraint when playing and knows not to hit hard.
    strtngovrmom

Answer by strtngovrmom at 12:41 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Yes i spank. I think it's fine. I do worry that some would think I take it too far, but in the end I know that i'm not hurting him. He is just fine. No marks. Just a tad red for about a minute or so. Sometimes I think I COULD get in trouble for it. But I don't worry/dwell on it either. I don't BEAT my child. I would never ever ever do that. One swat for each year. He's almost three so he gets three. When hes almost 4 he'll get four. I came from a home that didn't spank. And i think all of us kids would have learned better respect and behavior had we been spanked. And if my son intentionally hurt the family pet, I would def. spank him. He knows that's wrong, and I would NOT let him get away with that.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:18 AM on Mar. 20, 2009