Why is it that the atheist belief that Christians are simply wrong is deemed "hateful", but the Christian belief that atheists are going to hell is not hateful?

I don't believe in a higher power. I think Christians are wrong. It's as simple as that, yet, so many atheist replies are seen as "hateful".

Many Christians on CafeMom (not all!) feel they "know" enough about what their god is thinking to declare that I am going to hell for my non-belief. This assumption by them (which their teachings frown on anyway....it's called judgement) tells me that they believe, according to their religion, that I deserve to be TORTURED for ETERNITY! And they are fine with this assumption? They don't question their god for it? HOW is this not hateful? And how is that "loving" and my opinion that Christians are simply wrong is so many times deemed "hateful"?

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• metalcowgirl, I totally feel where you are comming from, bottom line: it's a double standard. It reminds me of when I was in high school how the Christian girls who were engaging in sex (and I know because they were my friends) were still so judgemental towards the bi & lesbian girls, because that "went against" God; as if sex before marriage doesn't go against God?! (according to the Christian view, of course). The part that saddens me is the idea that everyone is 'worthy of judgemental & hell'. I cannot believe that the Creator would actually feel that way about his Creation. (cont'd)

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 4:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Because SOME Christians, NOT ALL, are the most judgemental and hypocritcal people I have ever met. They make their own rules to suit their own agenda. Its ok for them to sin in any way they like as long as they repent, but if anyone else does, not only do they not deserve equal rights, but they are going straight to hell. That certainly includes athiests! For people who worship a God that doesn't hate they are the BIGGEST haters on the planet.
    Anonymous

• Its not an assumption, in our teachings if you do not believe in Jesus, the Son of God, then you are sent to an eternal hell. I am sorry, but its in black and white in the Bible.
    But I could be friends with you, I dont feel as if you are "hateful" Every single one of my friends sins, including ME! So I dont require my friends to be perfect in my eyes, its impossible. What I am saying is, that I can be friends with anyone from any walk of life.
    Anonymous

• I agree. Many people do not ever see the error of their ways.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 4:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• You guys sound like my husband. I live with this a lot.

sighs!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• The Christian belief that "non-believers" are going to hell is hateful in my opinion. I"m glad this was brought this up because I have yet to hear a Christian perspective on the subject that makes sense. I once asked my aunt, who is christian, to explain to me how a loving God could send, for example, the baby of a Muslim who had never heard of Christianity to hell. She replied: "Well, I don't think God sends babies to hell." So I asked her. "So what's the cutoff age?" To which she responded with stunned silence. Can anyone explain this? It really can't be that black and white.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 4:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Yes, heaven and hell ARE just black and white. No brownie points for trying to keep your life straight or trying to help others. I can't quite understand why this is okay with christians. Why don't they call their god on the carpet for being so vicious and unbending as to put me in hell for being a questioning thinker and Jeffrey Dahmer in heaven for "repenting"? How can this be all right in their eyes??? Perhaps it is their god's own sense of completely WARPED "justice" that makes them so judgemental themselves. He is vicious and childish and, by association, so are they. I could NOT find this kind of deity at all worthy of my worship and devotion. I am a flawed human and I am more worthy. That's why I'm an atheist.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 4:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I am a Christian, and I don't think athiests on here are "hateful," but they do sometimes come off as angry at us. I guess I understand to an extent. You said that you think we think you "deserve to be tortured for eternity." I would be mad if I thought someone thought the same thing about me or my family. But I believe we have ALL sinned and fallen short. We have all messed up and done evil. I believe that we all deserve judgement and hell. I deserve to go to hell. But God loves us so much that Jesus came and took our punishment on Himself. All of our sins were laid on Him, who was perfect and sinless. We have to accept that in order to recieve that. Jesus made it very clear, you don't have to go to hell. It wasn't prepared for you but for satan, and you have to reject God to go there.

I am sorry if you feel we are judging you. But If we hated you, we would not tell you what we believe and we wouldn't care where you went.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• There are Christians who don't believe in hell. For that- many believe we are not real Christians. Think of that! A belief in Christ isn't enough to tip the balance- but a belief in hell is....
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 4:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I'm interested in why you don't think YOU would be sending yourself to hell and why it would be God's fault? Christians believe that God sent his son to die on the cross and take your penalty for sin essentially to take your place on thecross. If you choose (your choice) to reject God's gift to you in that salvation then you are making that choice where you go. To the above commentor...a child would be sinless. ..For God to judge a person they would need to be able to know an action was wrong...The bible says we are all sinner but Jesus likeded the kingdom of heaven to a child...I would imagine they would be in heaven because they could not tell right from wrong at that age
    momtobe71

Answer by momtobe71 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2009