• In the Spotlight:

What's your "desperation dinner"?

Say you have $2 and you want to feed your family dinner. Its near the end of the pay period so you don't have a whole lot in the cupboards. What do you cook?

I do bean soup with corn bread for my family because its still somewhat healthy and filling. I normally buy the 1 lb bag of dried beans and cook them in the crock pot with seasonings. I buy two of the 25 cent packages of betty crocker corn muffin mix and cook those. The family loves it but i reserve it for our desperate days lol! What are some things you guys do? I need more ideas cause these days we are living paycheck to paycheck lol!

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 4:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Shepards pie--or so my step mom used to call it. Hamburger gravy mixed with some kind of vegetable poured over mashed potato's or toast. It is actually pretty good. She also made stew ALOT!!! We lived very poorly when I was a kid, and my step mom was a master at making things stretch until my dad got paid!!
    ofcangie

Answer by ofcangie at 4:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Meatloaf. Just requires ground beef, onion, bread cumbs and milk.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Spagetti...you can never eat too much spagetti according to my dd.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Umm..pb&j! :)
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• yummy that does sound good... for me- my dh is a SUPER PICKY EATER and so is my dd.... so sadly if we are that tough on money it ussually resorts to unhealthy food :( like hotdogs or something in that nature.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Tasha you just reminded me we love beanie weanies!! Sometimes I make potatos, smoked sausage and green beans in a big pot. Its goooood!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• we do hot dogs and beans but we normally do spaghetti
    mom2b23869

Answer by mom2b23869 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• we like brown beans with alot of stuff dump it over cooked chicken or grilled cheese with tomatoe soup lasanga in a pan but that can take some hours to cook oooooooh shoot now I am craving lasanga ugh
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Hot dogs and mac and cheese. Spaghetti. Buttered noodles and hotdogs. I always have pasta in my house, so there is always that option. You can make chicken soup with chicken broth and frozen mixed veggies. Pancakes are easy and cheap.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Once when money was not tight it was gone altogether, the kids would eat ramen noodles with either a boiled egg or some type of canned veg on the side. Thank God that did not last long!

tayanddyl

Answer by tayanddyl at 4:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2009