On a budget and need ideas on dinners costing under $10.00. Any ideas?

Just for one person most of the time. Cook a few nights weekly for son. I don't mind freezing and eating left-overs but son hates left-overs.

nan16

Asked by nan16 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Chili is great, especially if you freeze it and eat later. It makes a lot for very little cost. I am not a fan of leftovers at all but I can freeze it and eat some later and it doesn't taste funny to me. Most meals you can make for one person are under $10. Things made in the crockpot are usually fairly inexpensive and can go a long way.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• If it is just you then most dinners should be under $10.00. For my family of four, dinner is usually under $10.00.
    Cheap meals are chili, meatloaf, roast chicken, pasta.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I like to make lasagna its cheap and easy and wholesome. Buy lasagna noodles, buy some handmburger one pound is pleanty for you and one other person, buy some prego, and some mottzerella cheese. Cook the noodles till soft, ring them out between your fingers. I use a 9x13 pan. four noodles on bottom then I put sauce and cooked(on stove prior) on top then another four noodles then sauce then cheese then noodles then sauce then cheese again...let cook for 45 minutes at 400 and walla! Buy some cresent to go along with it or a salad and you are done.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Do you have a George Foreman grill? We make grilled chicken tenders on it.Then rice a roni an broccoli.

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• do you have a grill? I love to grill out if is just for me. You can get pkgs of meat and freeze one or 2 servings in the marinade. I usually grill 2 pork chops or chicken breasts at a time then I can have one for lunch. Buy premixed salad and veggies. Potatos are cheap. You can make brown rice and it keeps for awhile. Sometimes I buy the steamer pkgs or rice when they are on sale for $1.
    Another idea is to go to goodwill and buy glass bread pans and when you make lasagna or meatloaf you can fill up about 4 pans and freeze 3 for later. Label them and they are ready to pull out and bake.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Sloppy Joes w/chips, grilled chicken salad, cheese enchiladas, bean burrito chimichangas, chicken tacos, baked fish w/ rice, chicken pot pie caserole w/ cornbread crust topping (mix together cream of chicken with canned vegies, and cooked chopped cicken topp w/ 1 small box of corn bread mix, bake @375 for 25minutes)..spaghetti, meat loaf n mash potaoes...
    angi_mona

Answer by angi_mona at 4:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• hot dogs wrapped in cresant rolls w/mac and cheese
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 4:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• What about Hamburger Helper? they have different ones with a salad. I have tried Stouffer's dinners they are very good. Broccoli and beef, grilled chicken and vegetables. These are under seven dollars. I buy these at Wal-Mart.
    meb3

Answer by meb3 at 4:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Meatloaf, spaghetti, mac and cheese casserole, lasagna. Hamburger Helper, Tuna Helper. Look up ideas on line. Just google meals under $10. I would like to know too, it is just my son and I and we don't do leftovers either. I am sick of the same ol same ol.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Shepherds pie
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 5:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2009