breastfeeding?

ok well i was just wonder about breast feeding.
no one in my family has ever breast feed, because the baby
either wont latch on or they just think its really gross.
i dont know what to do some people tell me i should and some tell
me its gross. but i think it just brings the baby and you closer,
i really dont know what to do? pleaseee someone help me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• do what you want to do ignore everyone else if it feels like the right thing for you and your baby then do it
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• That is a personal decision. I would attend a breastfeeding class so that you have more info and can make a better decision. If you do decide to then make sure you are in contact with a lactation consultant so you have the best chance for success. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Well, I don't think people who ff are bad at all, but I don't see why you wouldn't at least try to breast feed. I won't go in to detail about how great breast milk is, but you can look up the benefits about it and see how you feel.

I don't think nursing is gross at all. If people do think it is then tell them that you think pooping is gross and that they shouldn't do that either.

julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Upside about breastfeeding is its SO much cheaper. You get extra bonding time that is irreplacable. Its better for them health wise. Downside about it is, you wont have nice breasts afterwards, you cant drink or take medicines if you want or need them, you have to eat wonderfully just about all the time, you get infections in your breast(some dont). I breastfed and loved it.,...its not gross its natural...its wont the ancient ppl did...thats why god gave us boobies! lol...but its your choice hun not your families...do as you please.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I would ignore what everyone else is saying. Listen to your heart. If it tells you to BF then do it. If it doesn't then thats okay too. But the decision that you make needs to be the best one for you and baby. Breast feeding is a very natural process that your body prepares for. If you feel that you want to breast feed then attend some classes before hand and go ahead and contact your local LLL (La Leche League). They will be able to give you as much information as you want and need. I wish you all the luck and I hope that the decision comes easy for you.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Luckily for me my mom, grandma, stepmom, and mother-in-law have all breast fed so I have a good group for support from my family. Even so, after reading some things about it, I am really anxious about it not working out for me. I am taking a breast feeding class in June and I plan to start attending local La Leche League meetings about that time as well. None of our family live close and my mom is coming after the baby is born, but it may be a week after, so I am hoping to have some support from the La Leche League ladies if I need it before my mom gets here. Also, I checked out a book from the library called, The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers by Jack Newman, M.D. and Teresa Pittman. I've found it to be very informative and I plan on buying a used copy on Amazon so I have it to reference later. I figure knowledge is power and the more I know beforehand, the better. Good luck.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• People who think it's gross really make me wonder. That's what we have them for, duh!! You should do what you think is best. Breastmilk is healthier for your baby than formula in most cases. If I were you, I would give it a try. You can always switch to formula if you regret your decision. After you've dried up, though, you can't switch to breastfeeding if you regret the decision to formula feed. And the idea that many people forget about. Although it doesn't work for all babies, because some will prefer the bottle because it's easier, you can do BOTH.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 4:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It was the best mothering experience i could have ever imagined. I can't even believe some mothers think its gross. If you can do it you should. Babies who are breastfed for 9 months or more have higher IQ's then bottle fed babies. They tend to have less allergies & when they breasfeed, your body releases a hormone called oxytocin that actually makes you love more. And your baby is getting those love hormones too, the bond is something only a breastfeeding mother can understand. There are way too many good reasons to breastfeed. Unless it's physically impossible, i definitely recommend it over formula.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• DON'T LISTEN TO THE LADY WHO SAID YOU WONT HAVE NICE BREATS!!!!

If you do your research on breastfeedling, it has nothing to do with the outcome of your breasts. Your breasts will look the same if you breastfeed or not, this is the truth. In fact breastfeeding helps w/ your breasts not sagging so much. Woman who choose not to breast feed quickly lose all the milk they had during their pregnancy, & often times their breasts are the ones tha become saggy becuase of the drastic change from being full to being empty. Breastfeeding has nothing to with the outcome of your breasts. Trust me, i worked for La Leche League here in Atlanta, i know breastfeeding up & down.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• im gonna breast feed for a year...its healthier, cheaper, lowers the chances of the child becoming fat in the future.....

plus..you will feel sooo close to your baby.... <33

go with what you think is BEST for your baby

remember...its not all about you..its about whats best for your baby <3 =]
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 5:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2009