ADD Evaluation

My daughter is going to the doctor and be tested for ADD. What do they do to test for this and should I tell her ahead of time.

KathMW

Asked by KathMW at 4:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• When my son was tested it was a booklet of questions that we and the teacher filled out and a couple meetings with a counselor. But that was 10 years ago, I hope they have something more now that there is more information about ADD/ADHD. Plus those questions were so subjective if he had been tested the year before or after he would have been recommended for medication just because of the teachers different attitudes about kids activity levels.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My son was 'tested' by the observations of the psychologist over a period of 4 months and questionnaires filled out by me, my husband and the two teachers.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• They observe u and see how well u focus mostly. I have add.
    Carli17

Answer by Carli17 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• What type of Dr is doing the tests?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• they don't test him.... they ask you questions and the teacher has to answer questions. unless you are doing the test that shows the brain functions. which you would know before they do it. what type of dr is doing the testing?
    Niecie

Answer by Niecie at 5:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• The peditrician is doing the evaluation. I am new to this, is there someone better I could go to?
    KathMW

Answer by KathMW at 10:07 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• A ped is not the best place for an eval...A developmental ped, child psych, or neuroligist is better. Peds are not trained in this area and they do not know alot about the meds and the effects etc... All a ped does is have you, hubby and teachers fill out a form and then give a Rx, but they are not very good at management and other treatment options. My son was overdosed by his ped, he did no testing for liver fuction, EEG,EKG, etc. We now see a dev. ped who is VERY knowledgable of ADHD ODD, bi-polar and the meds.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2009