Melatonin?

Does anyone use this with their child/children? My friend uses it with her 5 yr old. She recommended it to me because I have problems getting my kids to sleep. Apparently its a natural herbal sleep aide or something. I was just wondering if anyone else uses it for their kids and if it is safe to use.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• One of the peds I worked for recommended it for kids that he had on ADD meds to help them sleep at night. I use it myself sometimes to help me sleep. I don't think that I would use it with my child unless I have talked to the dr and have exhausted all other methods to help them get to sleep. Melatonin is a natural chemical that our bodies make from the combination of Vit D and sunshine to help us go to sleep at night by helping to regulate our circadian rhythms.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Its recommended to some adults but I have never heard of it being used for children and since their systems are diff then adults Id ask the pediatrician about using it and a proper dose for a child.

Answer by gemgem at 4:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• i used it with my son and still do we started using it because my son wasnt sleeping well at night and then having a hard time concentrating during the day because of lack of sleep. It is all natural and very safe you can buy it in 1mg 3mg or 5mg tablets. depending on the age of your child will depend on how many mg you wana give them. it doesnt cause them to be over drousy it just kind of calms them in the evening makng it easier for them to go to sleep and stay asleep. its not like a sleeping pill at all. Your body naturally makes melatonin some peoples bodies just dont make enough to help them relax at night.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• See when I read her bottle it only gave instructions for adults. She goes to the same pediatrician I do and said that they oked it for her...IDK I just don't like the idea....I think it would make me feel like I was drugging my child.
    Anonymous

• Thats because it is drugging your child. Herb or not its still something youre using to artifically make the child tired.
    Anonymous

• a lot of kids with autism disorders/ADHD use it. I use it with my kids, and myself. It doesn't help everyone. It seems to be most effective in people with sensory issues.

It really shouldn't be used nightly, just 'as needed'. too much for too long has been shown to cause eye sight probloems later down the line I think
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My ex's son was ADD and the ped recommended a very low dose to help get him to sleep. It is not an herbal supplement, but a chemical that our body naturally makes when we go to sleep and they somehow make synthetic and sell it. it worked great for our situation, but I wouldn't use it without talking to a doc and not unless you have major issues. There are natural ways to boost the bodies own production of melatonin (don't remember them, ,but we tried them too and they helped).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Take the doctor's advise on the product and dosage. I've heard of the melatonin resetting the internal clock to maintain a normal sleeping pattern. I used to make warm milk to help the kids get sleepy at bedtime...I didn't consider that a drug even though the tryptophan artificially made them sleepy. Both tryptophan and melatonin are found in most animals and other living organisms. Melatonin is produced naturally in the human brain. Supplements are prob from plants or rice. Get the okay from doc.
    snaprcat1

Answer by snaprcat1 at 5:40 AM on Mar. 20, 2009