Extreme Families...

Now while reading some articles on some of my favorite places to do so, this title caught my attention so I read it...
Now I am NOT in NO way bashing anyone's religious beliefs, but don't you think that 18 and counting is a bit Extreme even if the Bible says to "go forth and mulitple"
Please... I am exhausted chasing my 8 yr old grandson around ...

Now here is my question to all of you ...
Do you think/feel that it's YOUR duty to have this many children for your religious cause or beliefs...? and do you think it's fair to not only YOU as a woman, but to all those children that are brought into the world?

Now the article is long (2 pages) but it is interesting to read and the reasons behind why these people have so many children...
But there is also a down side to it too...

All opinions welcomed...
http://www.newsweek.com/id/189763

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 4:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No! Personally I don't understand why anyone would have more than 2 kids... One for each arm is more than enough!

But, to each their own.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• yea i mean if they dont wanna use birth control thats ok but at least pull out and try to bring your odds down a little bit lol. these people in our neighborhood have 8 kids seems like they have a new baby every years its crazy i dont know how they afford all those kids.
    Anonymous

• I think you can have as many kids as you want (religion or not) but ONLY if you can provide financially, and give them the love and attention they deserve. I don't agree with the "every older child has a younger to look after" I think if you have those kids they are YOUR responsibility! The older kids did not ask for the younger ones to be born.
    So - NO - I don't think that it is my duty to have as many kids as I can. God puts everyone on this earth for a reason, and mine isn't to have a lot of kids.
    Anonymous

• I have no problem with anyone having as many children as they feel they want as long as they are able to raise them and support them. As for the family that has 18(+) kids, they have no debt --they built their own house! and the older kids help with the younger ones. It's awesome to see. But although I love the idea of a large family, I'm not sure I could handle it myself having that many. I wouldnt mind one or two more (I have one right now).
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Nope.  There's nothing about that "duty" in my religion. I don't think 'fair' comes into play here.  It's noone else's business how many children someone else has or how they raise those children. If a woman wants to have umpteen-zillion kids, that's her choice & she has the right to do so.  Some people think it's awful to have an only child... they talk about all they miss out on by not having siblings --- I was an only child & very happy to be one (half brother was 20 yrs older than me & saw him once a year, so he doesn't count).  It goes both ways.  I see nothing wrong with having a large family ---- whatever floats ya boat.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• As long as they can financially support and emotionally support the children I think it is fine. It is not anyones duty to have kids. BUT I love 18 Kids And Counting and they are not the average family by any means but the Duggars are loving, supportive and financially responsible for all of their children. They are VERY commited Christians but they actually live what they preach.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 5:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My religion doesn't care. And as for people like the Duggar's, I find it not fair because in that family, once you're old enough to carry a baby without dropping it, you are assigned the job of being an assistant parent, and you will fulfill those job duties every day until your assigned baby is old enough to care for himself or you move out. That's a lot of responsibility for a kid in a normal family, and often results in making very stressed out, worry-wart adults who get bogged down in taking care of everything for everyone. They're making a whole brood of stressed out worry warts that way.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Actually hannahwill....

The Duggars live in (what was) my area (i've moved)...and they WERE on public assistance for quite a while...

Regardless...I do support the right for people to have as many kids as they want, but I just wish that theses same people would regulate themselves to ensure their kids will grow up happy, healthy, and not become a burden to society.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I know they were on assistance but they aren't now. Anyone needs some support to get to where they need to be. Families with ONE child can need gov. support and so can a single person for that matter. Actually my parents did and they had 3 kids.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 5:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• ok yes to each their own I agree, but IF you are not finacially able to ... then why have so many? Why not stop, (yes I realize that bc is out for some) but use more control and stop having children until they are better able to support them...
     Also ( I have never seen the show, we do not do tv at all here) but aren't they being paid to do this show, so NOW they have the means to support and build their home?
     I personally don't think it's fair to the other children bc as stated b4 me, when they are old enough they are assigned a child to care for... doesn't that take away from the child??
    JMO's being spoken out loud...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2009