Tattoo while breastfeeding?

Is it safe, would it be ok?

luvMIIsk8rBoi

Asked by luvMIIsk8rBoi at 5:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "Many, if not most, professional tattooists will not tattoo a woman who is currently pregnant or breastfeeding. World-reknowned tattoo artist Pat Fish of Santa Barbara, California, USA says:
    There is always an element of risk in getting a tattoo. The tattoo could have an adverse effect on the mother’s immune system that could be transmitted to the baby.

While the body is healing after a tattoo—and producing milk—and if the mother’s body would "reject" the tattoo, the possibility exists that it could harm the baby. This is especially a problem if the client does not follow the aftercare instructions and develops an infection. Alex Stewart of a former natural parenting Web site in the UK suggests that mothers give their bodies 18 months to fully recover from childbirth before asking it to heal a tattoo."
    From http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVFebMar05p3.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I vote NO-here's why-it has been proven that aids/HIV can be transmitted through breast milk and since there is NO way to be 100% certain that the needle is clean-I wouldn't risk it.
    Anonymous

• I would ask a dr. but i know you can't have it when your pregnant because of something in the ink. When you do get it though just make sure that when they are setting up the tattoo gun that they are opening up everything and its fresh and that they are wearing gloves.
    av0531

Answer by av0531 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 6:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I personally wouldnt, but I have heard from a doctor that it is safe and doesnt get passed through breastmilk.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2009