• In the Spotlight:

Parental Rights?

Isn't there a law somewhere on the books that grants parents the right to have exclusive control over photographs of their children? If so, how are the paparazzi getting around it?

Sharon7772

Asked by Sharon7772 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think if you take pics on a public street its ok. Otherwise Idont know.

Answer by gemgem at 5:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• no i dont think so i mean think of how many people may have a photo of your children froma apark or just walking down the street
    Anonymous

• I really was referring to photo's of your children being sold for commercial purposes, like paparazzi pictures. I thought you need parental consent to do that??
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 5:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I know like when we sign up for summer camp or church clubs they ask us to sign a waver but I'm not sure if it's preventative civil thing versus an actual current criminal law.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 5:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• For paparazzi I would think that the parent allowing their children to be in the public eye is waiving that right -
    Praying

• So the children of famous people have to be locked up in seclusion and never go anywhere?
    Anonymous

• i think that they have to have the parents consent if they are to publish the pictures.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 6:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• The parent allowing their children to be in the public eye is waiving that right? Well, I guess that makes sense. But at the same time, people need to be considerate of the safety for those babies. You're talking about octa-mom right?

Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 6:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• ""For paparazzi I would think that the parent allowing their children to be in the public eye is waiving that right - ""

So the children of high profile people have to become hermits, sequestered and imprisoned in their homes, to not be exploited by the paparazzi? Something is seriously messed up with this country!
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• ""You're talking about octa-mom right? ""

This case sparked my anger, yes, but I have also been disgusted with the way the paparazzi almost attacks any high profile parent who is taking their child somewhere. It's disgusting.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2009