5 year old disrespectiful mouth

My son who is 5 years old is starting this phase where, when I have to threaten to take something away when he isn't doing what he is told, " NO YOU WONT!, NO YOU CAN'T!" It is disrespectiful and rude to me. Please give me some ideas to put my little man back in check, and get this under control.

Meandmyluvbug

Asked by Meandmyluvbug at 5:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 5 year old has only dont that a couple of times, both times she has got her butt spanked, it broke her of the habit real fast
    wells75904

Answer by wells75904 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Time outs. Put him in the corner and he gets 1 minute for every year old he is...ie. 5 mins. If he is not quiet or gets up, the time starts over. It might be hard to get him to do the 1st time but you just have to be consistent and stay strong! Eventually he'll sit there the whole time and should stop his bad behavior.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• wells75904..."My 5 year old has only done that a couple of times, both times she has got her butt spanked, it broke her of the habit real fast " Same for me :)
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 6:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I am pretty strict but I have done the same thing or a time out and they know to behave. That said, I've seen people half heartedly give T O's and then complain when they don't work. You have to be consistent and make it miserable and make them actually do the "time".
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I would tell him that I am the parent and I am in charge. I would further explain that I will not tolerate him speaking to me like that. Do not threaten to take away his stuff, FOLLOW THROUGH. threats do not work. Time outs work very well for 5y/os. 1 minute per year. If he won't go, put him there, if he gets up put him back. Be prepared, it may take hours the first time you try to do this but it will get easier.Time starts when he is quiet and in his designated time out spot. Do not interact with him in time out, it defeats the purpose.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 9:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• As long as your following threw on your threat. Taking it away. He'll see that you mean it. If it is a false threat then he's right. But still shouldn't say to you. You'll have to do it a few times and mean it when you say you'll take it away to show him who's boss.
    Sadielg

Answer by Sadielg at 12:15 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I can't really help you because I am having the same problem with my children and their mouths.
    princessgirls03

Answer by princessgirls03 at 2:59 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• well, you know you have to start with yourself and the way you approach your child. he's just mirroring your actions to him. you need to recheck yourself and treat him how you'd like him to treat/respect you. it's that easy.
    JANIKA66

Answer by JANIKA66 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My girls have learned that I no longer threaten, I just do. If they are rude to me, I take something away. I figure since they are old enough to know how to be respective they do not get the opportunity to be given a warning. I'm not saying they are perfect or can't get rude to me or each other from time to time, because they do. Rather than say "clean up your attitude or else" I tell them no toys or playing with friends until you can be respectful.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2009