How can I get my cookies to not go flat when I use real butter instead of crisco?

I live at about 6000 ft above sea level. Everytime I use a cookie recipe that calls for butter instead of crisco, I end up with flat crisp cookies. I like a soft chewy cookie. Help!

mkae513

Asked by mkae513 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Try shortening the bake time by 5 mins. If that doesn't work, try adding an egg. Eggs make things cake-like.
    Sahminky

Answer by Sahminky at 5:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Where do you live? We're 6200 ft. up & I always have this problem with mine too.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 8:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• If you let the dough sit longer then the enzymes have time to break down the proteins in the flour (this makes the flour/dough stiffer)-- so if you're using real butter put the dough in the refrigerator over night and you won't have flat cookies.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• my guess, right off the bat would have been that you are over beating the butter and sugar, but naybe not. here is a list of websites for hints on High altitude cooking- it is different!
    http://www.google.com/search?q=high+altitude+cooking&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8ng.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:23 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I always have the opposite problem. My cookies always come out cakish, so I never make them.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 20, 2009