When is the right time to let your children watch scary movies?

I'm really big into t.v ratings for my kids, but my 13 and almost 11 year old want to watch what I won't let them. I know they're good kids and won't take too much influence but todays material is a bit much. They're some things that really shock me! So what about like Friday 13 or Nightmare on Elm st. Am I being over-protective?

MAMAMISTY33

Asked by MAMAMISTY33 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• it is bascially a test. I am a horror movie lover and my oldest starting watching them when he was about 8. Never had a problem. My youngest gets the gitters so I know with him it will take awhile. I let them choose. Just as long as the movie is clean sex wise that is
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 5:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It all depends on the child, if they are mature enough for those movies I wouldn't mind letting them watch them. I have a 12 year old daughter and a 13 year old son, and they are like night and day. My son loves horror movies and can watch them 24 hours a day if I let him while my daughter is so sensitive that King Kong freaks her out. You have to judge for yourself with each of your kids if they are ready for those movies. I say let them watch and them moniter if they have nightmares and then you can ban them again if need be.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I agree with kscmbz. It depends on the kid. My 8 & 5 yr olds never get scared, so although I don't let them watch them all the time, every now and then, if someone loans me a scary movie, I'll let them watch it with me. But, we also have lots of talks about make-believe and real life and how what they see isn't real, etc. However, I'm also careful to make sure it is stuff that is completely make-believe, like Freddy and vampires, etc. Not things like Vacancy, or Texas chainsaw, things that *could* happen. Makes it easier to distinguish between fake and real.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• my middle (14) would LOVE to watch al kinds of scary movies, but his brothers (12 & 15) are extremely sensitive and we can't easily have G&K stay out og the room while C is watching Preditor.

I think kids should be about 13 for aa lot of the movies, esp the more modern ones, but the OLD B&W horror flicks are OK for yunger kkids if the child is ready.

11 & 13 is a good age to do a test with a 'lesser scary' movie. annd occassional scary movie isn;t going to make a bad kid. Poor Parenting (which can mean wathing bad movies all the time along with other poor parenting) CAN make bad kids
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Never. They dont watch them until they move out. I hate them.

Answer by gemgem at 6:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Friday the 13th? Nightmare on Elm STreet? Yes, we watched those when I was that age.
    I'd let them unless they were waking up with nightmares.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 6:59 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• my 6 year old is a very happy child, but she loves vampires, the color black, monsters,bats, scary looking "halloween" trees, and all things scary. she is also entranced by blood... (she is listing these things off for me because I asked her what scary stuff she likes) I don't think it's anything I have done personally, and she seems very well adjusted. She would rather dress as a witch than a princess but she still loves dresses.... She will be able to handle scary movies at a younger age, but the world is scary enough- I will hold off on that as long as I can

My 4 year old gets nightmares from Scooby Doo...lol... she will not be watching any scary movie any time soon, her fave color is purple and she loves playing princess or ballerina, and performing her songs for us
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• When they are no longer afraid of the dark. When they look forward to dressing scary at Halloween.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 9:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I hate those things. I think it messes with their minds no matter what age. I won't let my grandkids watch them. I didn't like letting my kids watch them but they seemed to find them and watch them anyway. If they do watch them I suggest you do not allow them to watch just before bedtime. Let them see something funny or at least not scary before bed so they don't have nightmares. Seeing a scary movie the last thing before bed is not a good idea imo

Answer by admckenzie at 10:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My son will be 13 in July and hasn't watched scary movies yet and he doesn't want to. I let him watch almost anything that he wants, as long as I am there with him. I don't believe in censorship, but it all depends on the child's maturity level. I am open and honest with my son, so I am not worried about him learning things he shouldn't or trying things he sees on movies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2009