Divorce Judge Orders Religious Woman's Kids Sent Back to Public School...

These kids preform 2 grade levels ahead of their age on tests. She is teaching them all the CORE subjects and is including religion too. But this JUDGE thinks he should be able to tell this woman to send her kids out to get a more "well rounded" aka secular education. The kids do not want it! This is a little too much goverment controll of my parenting! Anyone else?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509687,00.html

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=6714504

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It doesn't matter if she was teaching them the psycology of rapests as a "class" instead of religion... The point is that the judge should not have the right to insist on public schooling unless those children are testing way under where they should be. Unless those kids are not recieving the proper education no one but the parents should have the right to decide what, where and how those kids are taught.

I do NOT agree with home schooling. But I do agree with the parent's rights to do what they feel is best for their kids. And if a judge can force public schooling for one family what is stopping them from deciding that a child has to be in a certain class or on a certain team or is required to look a certain way... It's not the issue of religion or even schooling that matters here. It's the issue of taking away the parents right to choose what it best for their kids. No judge should have that right!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• By the way the dad requested this BUT if she wants to and is willing to AND the kids are testing that far ahead, it looks more like a man trying to be a pain in the butt in a divorce than the best interest of the kids. If It's about religion there is nothing saying he can't expose them to HIS religion of choice on his own time!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• This is stupid.
    Ugh.
    It's getting harder & harder for Christians & i think it will even be HARDER in years to come.
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I think all children should go to school. AND home schooling should be banned..BUT that's MY opinion..

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 6:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• That would really anger me! That is going way too far with 'gov't control'

I have read a few things on whaat the president thinks about homeschooling and I just hope my kids graduate before there are any major changes.... that sounds kinda selfish I guess, but if it happens it happens- just hope to not be in it.

hopefully the judge will renig on that and let her kids stay where they are
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I dont think the Judge should have any say in how the kids are taught. If it was me personally I would continue what I was doing. Those kids are going to be so bored in the public school system if they are 2 yrs ahead of kids there age. JMO
    lucandpepsmom

Answer by lucandpepsmom at 6:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• That's ridiculous. How are these kids going to be better off by either being placed in a class their own age and bored to tears because the work is too easy, or placed two grades ahead where the work is their level but they are ostracized and treated like freaks by the rest of the kids in the class who are 2-3 years older?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I don't believe in homeschooling and would never do it but it doesn't mean it's not right for someone else. If the kids are getting a good education that's all that matters.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Its NC courts. They are incredibly messed up.

Answer by gemgem at 6:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It seems these kids are getting a superior education. If their mother doesn't want them exposed to certain things, that should be her right. What has their education got to do with her religion anyway? If their father wants them exposed to stuff he has joint custody, he can do the "exposing" on his own time with the children. Sounds to me like he has issues with the mother and is taking it out in child custody hearings..
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 6:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2009