• In the Spotlight:

im 22 weeks pregnant and is it normal to have lower back pain

Tricia737

Asked by Tricia737 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes
    Anonymous

• some back pain is normal yes id tell your dr tho and pay attention to it because if it gets bad then that could be back labor but yes some back pain is totally normal
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Totally normal....I hurt all over (I'm 36 weeks today)...try to get a massage or take a warm bath.
    gettingfat89

Answer by gettingfat89 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Yes, I'll be 22 weeks tomorrow and this is my 4th and my back kills me most of the time. Hot showers seem to help as well as a maternity belt when I'm moving around a lot. Becareful not to lift things that are really heavy, I get terrible pains when my 5 yo insists on being held or carried. Also a heating pad can help. It's only going to get worse until you have your baby when it will get better.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 6:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• yeah even before that its normal.
    and yeah watch out for back labor it hurts worse than the contractions
    sorry not trying to scare you.
    but you should just relax and have your man rub your back before you go to bed
    Anonymous

• Yep, around that point your body releases a hormone called relaxin. It loosens your joints to prepare for labor, so your tailbone, hips, and all your other joints get loosey-goosey. In addition to that your spine is curving to adjust to your new center of gravity and your tummy is expanding with baby, which puts a strain on your back, so that will cause it to hurt.

As Mrs.Owens said, know the signs of labor (particularly premature labor at this point in your pregnancy) just so you can be aware of the possibility. You'll start to get Braxton-Hicks contractions soon too...FYI.
    ACsLady

Answer by ACsLady at 6:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Yes in some cases. You should talk to your doc there could be an issue that may complicate delivery or the pain may worsen in which case they have safe pills to help.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2009