What do you do when your 3 year old is trying to stick things up his privte area?

my little boy went and spent the night with my mom nd she called me this morning and told me that she caught my 3 year old last night trying to stick one of her puppys toys up his butt and this morning she caught him in the bathroom with a screwdriver trying to stick it up his privte area what should i do? he has never done anything like this before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• my 2 year old is doing the same thing. this morning i caught him trying to stick a trix up there
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• A Trix? . . lmao. My dd has discovered her downstairs and sometimes grabs at it while we are changing her. Dh yells down the stairs "She doing it again" . . . it's hard for him as the daddy.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Maybe that area is itching him.. have you checked it out. It's totally normal, how do you think they explore themselves anyway. Just don't make a big deal out of it.. Just tell him things aren't supposed to put there.
    Anonymous

• And to kids...hey its a hole...what can i stick in there? LOL....completely normal...

But, if they hurt themselves while doing that and still continue to try and do it, then it may be a compulsion that they can't help (like biting nails or plucking out hair) especially if they are mad or upset with themselvs while they are attempting to do so...

Really, though thats rare and IMO its just exploration of what can be stuck where...LOL
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I think this is totally normal, a natural curiosity. My kids did it around 3...two more than the other three did. I think as long as you don't make a huge stink it will pass. Just keep and eye on what they get a hold of so the don't cut or hurt themselves.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 8:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Dh yells down the stairs "She doing it again" . . . it's hard for him as the daddy. LMFAO! BridgetC140!!!

When my son started grabbing his penis at diaper changes my GIL would tell him not too, but I told her "Hey, its his, so he can play with it if he wants" LOL and she relaxed a bit....Now that he knows he can play with it when he wants, its not so hard trying to get him to leave it alone while we are changing him...

And hes sooo cute about it cause he'll grab it and say "my penis" all giggly and say "bye bye penis" when we put the diaper on...LOL

Oh, and he also know that "EIEIO...and Old MacDonald has a penis....EIEIO"

hahahahahahaha

I love kids! Don't you?!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Geez, I'm sure you know, but that should have said "She'S doing it again" . . without the is or 's . . it just be sounded real bad.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• LOL!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2009