What are my b.c. options while breastfeeding?

Does anyone know what all my birth control options are while i'm breastfeeding. I tried to talk to my doctor about this but he wasn't much help. I know there is the mini-pill, or the shot, there is also the mirena or any other IUD, but isn't there something called implanon, and can that be used while breastfeeding. I was asking him questions about all of this because i don't want to go back on the mini-pill because when i was on it last time i gained 70 lbs, so i want to try something else this time, and he just kept telling me about the mini-pill and then also when i mentions the mirena, he said, oh well that's safe as well. But that's all the info about anything he would give me. So i just want everyone else's opionions, and personal experiences with this issue. I've also heard that with the mirena if you do get pregnant, 90% of the time you will lose the baby. I just want as much knowledge as possible.

FinleyFirst

Asked by FinleyFirst at 7:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Kellymom has lots of good information on all of the different possibilities: http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Sorry, the only thing I was on was the mini pill, but I never had any issues with it.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Go to the web site for implanon. Only certain Dr.'s are certified to put it in. Your Dr. might not know much about it if he isn't certified.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 7:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My midwife brought up the Nuva ring, condoms, and diaphram.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I breastfeed and I have the mireana and have had no problems with it. But, yes, I do worry about getting pregnant off it, but my doctor did tell me every women he saw that got pregnant off it, their baby was born fine with no problems.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I have an IUD and I loveeee it! Never feel it, never even think about it.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2009