carnation instant breakfast for a 2 year old

Is it ok to give a 2 year old carnation instant breakfast or is that too young??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son is 2 and I give him carnation breakfast on mornings when we have to get up and go. But since I am now a SAHM that really doesn't happen anymore. But he loves it.
    jziegler

Answer by jziegler at 7:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My pediatrician recommended it for my twins when they were just past one year and I was having trouble getting them to drink plain whole milk. I'd think as long as you are not using it as a replacement for solid food it should be fine.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 7:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't but that's just me. I think something like that is a supplement for children who refuse to "eat" a healthy breakfast. I definitely wouldn't use it every day. Getting your 2 yr old in the habit of eating a good, healthy breakfast in the morning is important as breakfast is the most important meal for kids. Instant stuff just can't compare to fresh fruits and milk.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• MY DAUGHTER WAS 1 1/2 WHEN I FIRST GAVE HER IT AND SHE LOVED IT AND ITS REALLY NUTRITIONAL!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I have a child I'm trying to get to gain weight and she gets it. Though not as a meal but as a snack.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Its being used to help a child to gain weight back after losing too much. Thats what i was told to use to gain weight by mixing it into a milkshake
    Anonymous

• Is it high in sugar? Just curious
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 9:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My pediatrician recommended it as a nutritional supplement for both my boys. They are both really small and skinny. Since Pediasure is so expensive, carnation instant breakfast is a great alternative. I wouldn't give it for a meal. I just always gave it to them as their "chocolate milk". They loved the taste. They would drink about 2 sippy cups of their "chocolate milk" a day. In addition to regular meals.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 11:38 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I agree with the masses here.
    I use it in place of choc. milk. He drinks it with a meal and it is 2X the protein of an egg and 2X the calcium as yogurt! It also has 21 vit & minerals. My son likes it and it cost alot less than Pedisure milk.
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2009