Scared to tear...

I am getting closer to labor and delivery and just wondering if most people tear. Is episiotomy normal and are there anyone who hasnt tore?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i tore and was cut and to be honest...i didnt know until someone told me.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• soem women do some women dont it depends really on the babies head lol also some drs will just cut you on that skin between the vagina and your backside just a little cut to help prevent tearing its not to bad unless you tear really bad but that i havent heard so much from people i was the only one i know tha thad 3rd degree tears
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I didn't tear with my 3rd child. Trick is to not lay on your back while pushing. And push when and how you want to. No directed pushing(ie someone saying when to push)
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• i was cut with the first, tore with the second-- like the first poster, i didnt know til someone told me-- im guessing i had/did one of the 2 with my 3rd because i had stitches, but i really have no idea which, and never thought to ask!-- this one the docs let you tear
    armywife7885

Answer by armywife7885 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I was cut..I guess she could tell I was going to tear. But she numbed (sp?) it first and I didn't feel anything.
    Anonymous

• I tore and it better to tear than be cut. It didn't hurt at the time it only hurt afterwards but it healed perfectlty fine. Don't stress on it too much it isn't that terrible.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 7:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• You should talk to your doctor about whether episiotomy is 'normal' or not. Many doctors do routine episiotomies, many others do not. If you feel strongly about it, let your doctor know. My understanding is that an episiotomy is easier for the doctor to stitch up but is harder to recover from because while a tear may be a surface injury, episiotomy is a cut through the muscle of the perineum.
    Just my own experience, I had tearing with all three kids. I had no epidural, at the time that it was happening I could not feel any tearing. It's very intense during the actual delivery so tearing was not something I was focused on at the time. With my first I had a fairly large tear and was sore for a few weeks afterwards. With the next two I had small tears and really barely felt them. After all three I healed up just fine. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Tearing is normal however at the time of delivery you most likely wont notice. There is a lot swelling and discomfort for about 3-5 days after. They give you Tylenol codeine which helps a great deal, and make sure to take home some off the anesthesia spray from the hospital. That stuff is awesome.

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• well i ddint have to go through it but, i heard theres a thing called pleasure stitch! if thats what ur worried about, hope it helps. lol
    Anonymous

• If it isn't already too late, try doing some squats to help stretch that muscle out. Have someone stand facing you and have them hold your arms to help you maintain your balance. That's what I did, I still tore but it could've been worse. Also, while I was pushing I was up on my knees with the bed sitting up as far as it could go. I was facing the bed with my elbows hooked over the top to help support me. Try that if you're able, it lets gravity help you.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 7:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2009