Do u think time out really work?

Cause I did time out, No T.v. on school night, pop her butt, take all her toys. and she just do not care about nothing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Time outs don't work for my 9 yr old. It's more like grounding. I take away her most 'precious' things.......playstation, computer time, tv time, and she doesn't get it back until I say.
    Anonymous

• I think it removes her from the situation and sends a message. Keep up with it and eventually she won't like it. Have a candid talk with her about her bad behavior, getting down to her level and explaining why it's not okay. Just be consistent.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It depends on the child. My oldest only spankings work. My youngest you can just tell you to stop. If you've ever seen super nanny or nanny 911 they have wonderful time out tips. It's mainly trial and error unfortunately.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• How long is the time out? What toy are you taking it away? Decide on your decipline method & stick to it for atleaste 3 weeks! She has to learn her actions have consequences & understand what are those consequences....
    You may not be taking away the right toy- if you take the xbox away they may be playing on the gameboy.... KWIM?
    My mom said she didnt get in trouble alot b/c her parents would send them to their room where they could do nothing but school work, read text book, or if they were lucky they would be reading a book for school or they could just sit on the bed & do nothing.

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Time outs work, they just have to be done correctly. There is a proceedure to it, once you put your LO in time out you don't talk to them, once they are in their designated place you set the timer and give one minute per year. If they leave, you put them back and time starts over. I had to fight my nephews for hours on this when I first got them but it does work. You have to be consistent. You have to explain before you put them there why you are putting them there. Then when their time is up you go back and tell them again what they did and (depending on their age) ask them how they can do better next time. Do not yell, do not hit, when you start yelling they stop listening. It does no good to lose your composure.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 9:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Depends on the kid. They did NOT work with my older kids when they were younger. It was too hard to keep them in time out with 3 of them. They would tag team me. One would get in trouble and get sent to time out (which was a chair they called the "behaving chair"). But they refused to stay in it. While I went to set the timer they would jump up and hide. Then every time I looked away they would get up. Or the other kids would sit with them and entertain them (hardly punishment). So I would physically have to hold them in the chair while they screamed I was hurting them. Meanwhile the other two were destroying the house or getting into trouble and I would have to start all over with another time out. It was insane.
    But, they work now that the kids are older. But timeouts are now in the corner with noses and toes touching the walls, hands at their sides. The 3yo just has to stay in the corner for now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I think it's more of a take away than a time out. If my oldest son is not behaving. The Legos and Drawing stuff get taken away for a few days. This is like Death for him. It usually only lasts 3 days then he's turned around. Same with the others, find out what they can't live with out and take it away until you see results.
    Sadielg

Answer by Sadielg at 12:11 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Time out could work for some kids, but maybe not all kids.
    princessgirls03

Answer by princessgirls03 at 2:52 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• NO I dont think time out works, I have the exact same isue with my 7 year old son. I try to factor in his ADHD but its not an excuse for his behavior. I have been doing time outs and it seems like as soon as he gets out he is back to doing what he got in trouble for to begin with.
    breebers

Answer by breebers at 1:50 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• no, doesnt work
    Anonymous