At what age?

When did you get your baby to sleep on his/her own in a bassinet or crib? My baby is only 2 weeks old and will not sit or lie down by herself unless she is already asleep. She won't sit in a swing or bouncy chair. When she wakes up and notices she's not being held or right next to me, she starts bawling. Any tips?

danielp

Asked by danielp at 8:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What I did for my son was that i put an blanket in there and it made him seem a little bit tilted and sometimes i would wrap him like they did in the hospital and he would fall straight to sleep.
    CarsBars08

Answer by CarsBars08 at 8:22 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• We had one of those "bouncers" that vibrated and that's where my girly spent a good amount of time. She even slept in there until she got too mobile and I thought she'd fall out. She also LOVED to be swaddled. It's still one of her favorite things.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 8:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Do a nice tight swaddle... it helps them feel more secure. And makeing a little U shaped nest with a little blanket helps too... the U makes them feel all snug like when being held.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My DD has slept in her crib ever since the night she came home from the hospital. But, when she doesn't want to go to sleep and tries to fight it, I use a heartbeat CD. My husband was in the Army and they gave me a care package after I had my daughter and that CD was in there. It played soft music with a light heartbeat in the background. That's the only thing that will work for my daughter. Babies like the sound of a heartbeat. You can probably google where you can find one.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I heard that if you put a piece of clothing next to your baby that smells like you, It might make your baby a little bit less agaited. And you too.
    avonmom83

Answer by avonmom83 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My son slept in his bassinette and with me for the first 6 weeks, and then after that I started putting him awake in his crib with a nightlight and his mobile on and he loves it, and falls asleep on his own. And has been sleeping through the night since he was about 6 or 7 weeks old. Every baby is different though.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 9:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It is natural for baby to want to be next to mom...it's instinct. I also realize that that's impossible lol. My son never would sleep in a basinette, I had to start out with the crib. Actually, until he was almost 2 months old he would only sleep in his swing, WHILE swinging, with the ocean sounds on.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• The first 2 weeks my son was home he wouldnt sleep at all unless i was holding him. Then he started sleeping in his bouncy seat.. then we started co sleeping. I loved it at first bc he started sleeping thru the night and everything but after a while i hated it. Now he is 4 months old and has been sleeping in his bassinet for about 3 weeks. I absolutely love having my bed back!! LoL.
    amygirl23

Answer by amygirl23 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• try swadling them in their blanket tighter. and move the bassinet (if you have one) next to the bed, if she wakes up.. at least you will be right there.

Im a co-sleeper, so my DD still sleeps in my bed most nights.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:14 AM on Mar. 20, 2009