What kinds of books are you and your children attracted to and why?

I am considering writing a children's book, and would like some input. What attracts you to a book? What makes it one that you enjoy reading repeatedly to your kids? What books are your kids drawn to? What about it draws them in?
What would you like to see in a book (i.e. a need that is not currently met)?
Any book turn-offs for you and your children?

LsMamaL

Asked by LsMamaL at 8:59 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• those are lot of questions lol but if i were to write a book I'd look at best sellers and research it. but to answer your questions, they seem to like books with a lot of colors and brilliant pictures, easy short words or short sentences to a page, like Dr. seuss or the hungry caterpillar both favorites, what makes me buy a book would not only be the things i mentioned but if it's educational or has a moral to it.
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 9:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• my SD likes to read animal books. she also like chapter books. i think there need to be more lower level chapter books. i dont remember the author but we read one from school called Petropolis. It was really cute and not only did my 8yr. SD like it, but i think my SS who is now 5 loved it even more. haha.

its always good to have a balance of good pictures with the words.

good luck. i love writing.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• He loves books. But at two his favorite tend to be ones that are not too wordy right now or it just looses him before we can move to the next page. He loves books on trains, construction vehicles, cars, anything with wheels. But he likes ones I sing to. I make up a tune to match the words and we sing the book. He loves that. And then we sing it together.
    Anonymous

• My son likes books with stories and characters he can relate to - the more he relates, the more he wants to read it. He also likes to read about hero figures - firemen, pirates, astronauts. Actually, we're very eclectic in our children's book area and sometimes he'll just grab something off a shelf and we'll read it.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• dd is a toddler and absolutely loves the books you can feel. she doesn't care what it's about as long as she can feel it. And off the wall textures not just soft. One book has grass and ravel another has aniamls with poky tails.

SHe also has one board book with multiple one word time on each page. For whatever eason, it's her fav.

Personally, I love books that rhyme.
    Anonymous

• My son likes ryhming books and animal characters. I like to know there is a lesson to be learned or something teachable in a subtle way. Peter Rabbit should mind his mother. He also helped my son eat vegetables. The Berenstain Bears teach good lessons about cleaning up after yourself and not being selfish.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 1:58 AM on Mar. 21, 2009