would I be stupid to let him go, or mean for not letting him go

My ex husband is a over the road truck driver. He hasnt seen my kids the last three times hes been in. In fact he hasnt tried to see them since January. The kids are on spring break next week and he wants my 11 year son to go over the road with him for the whole week. I told him no, if he goes I would worry the whole week and if something happened to him I would never forgive myself.

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 9:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think that depends on your ex. Obviously things didnt work out for the two of you but do you trust him with your son? Also, does your son want to go? Is he going to be bored out of his mind? Does he like spending A LOT of time with his dad? I think if your ex is generall a trustworthy person capable of handling an 11 year old all day everyday for a week and your son wants to go you should let him. If your ex isn't such a trustworthy guy, probably not.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Hes not very trustworthy because everytime he tells the kids hes gonna come see them he always makes an excuse not to come and I see them disappointed over and over again and he never pays attention to where they are when they are at his housebad

heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 9:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Ditto what Chandra034 says...
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 9:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I went on the road with my dad when I was 11. I loved it, I was away for 6 weeks in the summer. My dad can't wait for my son to turn 12 so he can go. I think if your son would enjoy it then you should let him go. I would give them a lot of time together.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• you complain he doesn't see them then when he wants to you say no? That makes no sense. Let the child go. Let dad be a dad.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I agree let him go!
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I agree, you are complaining the dad doesn't see his son and when he can, you want to tell them no. Let him go, he needs time with his dad. It is only for a week, you can talk to him on the phone every day. I am sure it is hard being an over the road truck driver and finding the time to see his son, this would be a good opportunity for them to spend quality time together, talking and doing guy things.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Unless you think it would be dangerous for your son in some way, or if your son is afraid to go....why not let him go? It may be a wonderful chance for them to really get to know each other, rely on each other and interact on a deeper level.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:30 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Go with your instincts.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2009