Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to diagnosis the problem

How can you tell whether your child has ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, bi-polar, ODD etc. My 9 yr. old was diag. w/ADD by his doctor. Then went to a phychatrist and he said ADD/ADHD. My son is a mess!

I do think it's all about..."well he has ADD, here's your prescription, please pay your bill."... and then I'll collect my little bonus from the drug company because I prescribed their drugs.

Can anyone tell me how to decipher all of the above problems.

Answer Question

Asked by jmom00 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • get online and look at all the symtoms and just watch your children to see if they show signs of add/adhd

    Answer by Armywife510 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • go to and research that site can explain it better then i could, but yes a psych. is the only one that can diagnose it. you can choose not to put him on meds. that is up to you, you can change his diet to help him focus but really go to the site and read everything you can on it. mine is five and just been diagnosed with adhd

    Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 9:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • Do lots of research of your own to educate yourself about all the symptoms so when you speak with a dr. you are more informed.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • I'm in SpEd, and we see this all of the time... Your doctor should have had two additional sources/observations, e.g., you and the teacher. AS there is no test: did he use a rating scale at all or just one observation? In the past, ADD and ADHD were separate diagnoses. (The DSM is the guide used to determine a diagnosis.) However, it was combined a few years ago. So, now you can be diagnosed: ADHD or ADHD with impulsivity. (Remember I'm NOT a doctor!) If you're not satisfied, PLEASE SEEK A SECOND OPINION. There are so many kids who are misdiagnosed and medicated inappropriately. (We also get plenty who absolutely cannot perform without the medication. My guage is always a movie: can your child sit through one?) Check local resources and parent groups, too. They can give other references for doctors and strategies to help, i.e, diet v. medication. Good Luck!

    Answer by jonosmama at 9:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • ADD/ADHD mimics other conditions including bipolar and depression. The ONLY person who can diagnos your son is a doctor. Have him evaluated by a child psychologist.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

  • Be careful with getting your diagnosis and be insistent that the school or someone test for other disorders as well. I say this because my son was diagnosed as having ADD when he was in K-garten. I took him to a psychologist who not only agreed but said he had ADHD and believe me there was not hyper bone in that boys body. A few years later we moved to another district and he was really tested and they found out that he was neither. He was dyslexic. That was when he was in 6t grade. So he went all those years with the wrong diagnosis. He excelled after they found out what was really wrong.

    Answer by connietrrll at 2:13 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

  • My son was diagnosed recently but it was a lengthy process took a few weeks and many visits to the Dr and lots of paper work on my and his teachers part. I would get a second opinion if he just saw your son 1 or 2 times.

    Answer by AK_aries at 5:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

  • Well, the psychiatrist may just be monitoring the medication.... I don't think there is really a difference in the diagnosis of ADD/ADHD and ADD. Diagnostically, I think they are under the same umbrella, so I don't think there is a conflict with that. Psychiatrists don't usually do counseling, so if you want more insight get your son into the office of a psychologist or a counselor. Find someone who specializes in evaluations on is more reassuring to know as much as you can know!

    Answer by BJoan at 9:28 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.