19 pounds at 4 months

is that too much??? my sons doctor does nothing but tell me that he is over weight,,,
He was born 8.5 pounds and 22 inches long...
I feet him 4 times a day 6 ounzes ...

Ellie.407

Asked by Ellie.407 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Renni, your baby is not the perfect, all-time standard!! Ellie---my son was 9 lbs 4.7 oz at birth and is now 20 lbs 11 oz. He gained weight fast at first and then tapered off, he was 10-20 lbs for like 3 months. I would ask your pedi for details...percentiles, etc. Try another pedi because it sounds like yours is insensitive and isnt telling you the whole story
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Both of mine (girls) were that size as well. Did the doc just mention he is bigger than normal? Or was it a criticism? Just feed him when he's hungry, sounds like he's growing fast.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• All kids are different. My brother was 11lbs when he was born. I think if your dr. is just saying he is overweight and not giving advice or suggestions you need a new dr. though.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• He might be a little overweight, but he'll lose some as soon as he starts crawling and walking.
    My boys were overweight too and now they're twigs. My daughter is 9 months old and weighs 21 pounds.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• my 8 month old isnt even that heavy so yes he is overweight. At 4 months my son was 11lbs and at 8 months is 18lbs
    Renni

Answer by Renni at 10:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• That sounds pretty normal to me... It's not about the numbers though, as long as your kid grows at a steady pace I would think they're fine.
    CuriousSarahM

Answer by CuriousSarahM at 10:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• How long is he now? 22 inches at birth is pretty long. If he is still pretty long I wouldn't worry about his weight.
    Anonymous

• my DD was 15lbs 10oz and 25 inches long at 4 months..
    my nephew was 18lbs and 26 1/5 inches long at 4 months...
    my neice was about 20lbs and 26 inches long at 4 months..
    all babies are different...
    look at his length as well.. if he is about 26-28inches long.. he sounds fine.. and I would look into getting a different doctor if that is the case.
    however if you are worried see another doctor.
    Renni: your baby sounds like he's on the smaller end of the scale.. so I wouldn't base your kids weight on hers.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:28 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Every baby is different. My son weighted 20lbs by the time he was 6 months old. His weight gain is slowing down now. He is 9 months old and 23 pounds. Your baby will be fine. I wouldn't worry about the weight. It doesn't sound like you're overfeeding him or anything. My son was taking more than 4 6oz bottles a day. He will thin out once he starts crawling and walking. My son's pediatric said that weight isn't a worry until after they are one. If they continue to gain rapidly after 1yr old, then it's a concern because it could be a health issue causing the weight gain. My son was 8lbs and 21 inches at birth. He is 29 inches now.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:50 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Did he say "over weight" or "over average weight"? There's a difference.

I can't believe your son only eats four times a day! Wow! Mine were taking 8oz every 2-3 hours during the day, averaging over 40oz a day.

Nothing to be done about it, really. It's not like you can put a baby on a diet. I'm sure the doctor is watching his growth curve and will step in if he shoots off the charts suddenly or extremely. That's what the charts are for....to keep an eye on growth. Sudden sharp rises or falls are red flags they will use to check things out.

If the baby is hungry, feed him. Let him be happy!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:22 AM on Mar. 20, 2009