Do you use your religion as an excuse for your bigotry?

bigot
One entry found.
Main Entry:
bigĀ·ot
a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices ; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance

hannahwill

Asked by hannahwill at 9:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To me, anyone who says something like "gays are wrong because homosexuality is bad because god says so" is using their religion for bigotry. Like Metalcowgirl said, the "hate the sin love the sinner" bit is overused and makes no sense. If there are two men having sex with each other, you can't hate the fact that they're having sex and not hold it against the men too. without the sinner, the sin wouldn't happen!

This is not directed at everyone... I know some people are surprisingly accepting. (For which they are told they are not "real" Christians) however if you use your religious beliefs to justify thinking or saying that gays are wrong, that someone who gets an abortion is wrong, that someone of a different belief is wrong... then you are prejudiced. Hate to break it to you.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• No not at all. I'm actually slacking myself. I don't even really have a religion really.

Anonymous

• I always considered this word to be used toward racists.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It can be used for that too :)
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• What in the hell kind of question is this? I have religion but I am not a bigot. I do think there's good and bad in every race and every ethnicity, as we are all human beings. I am a practicing Catholic but I don't bash gay people, etc. It may sound hypocricical, but I don't really express anything at all toward it because it's other people's lives and not my place to judge anyone...at all.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 9:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Rio...I didn't say religious people are bigots. Obviously your answer is "no."
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• "What in the hell kind of question is this? I have religion but I am not a bigot."

Yes...that is why she was ASKING. Not assusing anyone. Because SOME PEOPLE do that.
    Anonymous

• "What in the hell kind of question is this? "

Some language for a practicing catholic!
    Anonymous

• Lol...some people come out with the claws bared! No I am not a bigot. I don't hate the people who sin,or blame them. I have friends of all beliefs so.... I just don't agree with what they are doing. I don't turn a blind eye either. It is against God's teachings to do so.

Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Nope, I try to be as tollerant of others as I would hope they would be of me... My religion is tollerant of all... It wouldn't work for me to blame my beliefs...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2009