what do i do when step daughter steals from everyone in the house?

i caught her...and she lied about it...it was'nt the first time....

Debbie9191

Asked by Debbie9191 at 9:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• punish her take something away from her that she really likes
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Locks on all bedroom doors. She pays for those locks out of her allowance or chore commissions. (Not on her bedroom door)

When she steals, take the item back and have an item of equal value to her removed.

Additionally, no TV or internet or phone privlidges unless the phone is to family or the TV is a show the whole family is watching.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 9:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• get brand new locks and get the locks with keys so just u could have the keys. Dont let her steal from anyone. If she steals warn her that next time she steals tell her your going to call the cops on her because stealing is wrong.
    Anonymous

• i had a similar problem. i think it is an attention thing. definately punish. ground her. but keep trying to give her positive attention for the good things she does. also talk to her. try to let her know that you know this is not like her. let her know that if there is something bothering her that she can talk to you.

i don't know what fixed it for us, but she did stop eventually.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My first thought was steal something of hers and show her how it feel's then after awhile you can tell her what you where doing , ask her how it felt..... Or tell her it is a sin lol just kidding Debbie. that one is only between you and me .. lol ...... That would really bug me bad . That is part of having a teen ager that I can't really give advise on , good luck thow....
    MommyJanice44

Answer by MommyJanice44 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I seriously think you should 'steal' something from her, and let her sweat. After she sweats enough, explain.. very seriously that when one steals between family members, it hurts! I'd make her pay back what she took, etc. but above all, I'm not sure that grounding and locks are the solution to teaching her what is simply a 'value' Somehow she doesn't feel the pain it brings to others (in her family!) when she steals... and I'd definitely try to setup chores and give her chances to make money honestly.

PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 10:40 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I think you should prove it first. Put locks on peoples door and dont get her one :]
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• oddly enough I am torn on this issue....
    "stealing back" isnt and effective way ti is just a planned revenge. How is you doing what you are telling her not to do the right thing?
    That said, I also am torn on the lock thing too...I know you are trying to protect your stuff and others stuff in the house but how is you spending money on locks or even making her pay for it going to "teach" her remorse and not to do the stealing in the first place?
    I am not judging..I ahve struggled wiht this same issue since my son was 5 and he is now 15. He still takes things on occasion but much les than when he was younger. He told me it was a "high" to know he did it and got away with it. That told me it was for attention so I gave him more time!
    I wish you LOTS of luck and hugs from one concerned mom!
    onemoretime904

Answer by onemoretime904 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Start making her pay for the things she takes... If she doesn't have the money to pay for them make her earn it or sell her things to pay for them. At that age belongings are very important. If you sell her fav. shoes to pay for the lipstick she stole she will think again next time.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My sd did that... everyone had lock doors and kept things from her. didn't work but now we let the public know we can't leave her alone because she has sticky fingers. she gets upset and i tell her , now she knows how we all feel about her taking things from us without permission. i also go into her room and steal things from her to show her what it's like. (i never give it back) that works also....
    Niecie

Answer by Niecie at 6:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2009