Is it possible to lose your sexual desire after having a baby?

Before I got pregnant and even during my pregnancy, my sex life with my boyfriend was great and we had no problems. But after I had my son I went through several months of postpartem depression, and now our sex life is almost nonexistant. It's like I just don't desire it anymore. When we do finally have sex, it is great and I definately enjoy it, but I just can't seem to get in the mood. I know this is killing my boyfriend, and I know he wants only me and I know he is not cheating on me. He has been wanting me to talk to my doctor about it. Anybody know why this is happening and what I can do to get my sex life back? I am afraid this is really bothering my boyfriend because he thinks it is his fault. Help me!

Haze123

Asked by Haze123 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• Yes, happened to me...only whenever we do it I don't consider it great.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 9:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Yes very often that happens... I don't have any advice cause I'm in the same boat. Just know that your not alone
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 9:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• this happened to me too, maybe i should talk to my dr as well... DF is pissed at me right now cuz i would rather be on here.... i just dont "want to" :(
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I am in that club too. I still haven't figured out how we managed to have another baby. LOL. Sorry no real advice, except maybe talk to your doctor. I think there is a female version of sexual arousal pills
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 10:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• yes it happens. You will get it all back.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It's perfectly normal. You're tired from taking care of the little one. I have 3 boys and I'm hardly ever in the mood. I just tell my husband to take it cause I'm too tired. Sometimes I'll be in the mood. I would talk to your OB to see if you can get on something.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Not only possible, usual. Childbirth is a great libido killer.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Very typical and it is actually part of how nature spaces children and allows mom to heal properly before having another child. This is espeically common if nursing because of the hormones, but quite often happnes even if you don't nurse. I still don't know how we got pregnant when our first was 18 months because it was like once a month for us then. Now at 21 months PP with the second things are starting to get back in the swing, but with 2 kids timing is everything!! Oh BTW I am nursing so that may be why it took so long to get back into the swing!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2009