How do I explainto my 6 yr old daughter some mean things said to her by her best friend?

My 6 yr old daughter just told me her "best" friend told her someone in her class said all the girls don't like her. She also told me her "best" friend didn't want to sit with her at lunch and as a result is sitting alone. Katy is her only real friend at school and Im not sure how to respond. I've started making playdates with other girls and they seem to go well. She started a new school in Sept. and didn't know anyone. It's been a very smooth transition up until this point. I will be talking to her teacher and hopefully this will blow over, but any advice regarding making her feel better as well as dealing with her friend and what I should tell her about her friend's behaviour would be greatly appreciated!

ccw39

Asked by ccw39 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• definately talk to the teacher. i have had a similar problem. just keep encouraging her to make other friends. it can be hard.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• When other kids say or do "not nice things" I try to explain to my 3 that sometimes the other kids are feeling scared, or need attention, or that the don't have a really good self esteen for themselves. That's why they may do means things. I let my guys know it's nothing they did and and that they are still a good friend.
    Sadielg

Answer by Sadielg at 11:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Remind her that this girl is not a "true" friend because 'true" friends don't say mean things about you, they stick up for you. Continue to invite other girls over. This may work itself out without having to get the teacher involved, but if not, then definately talk with the teacher. There are some good books about bullying which might be helpful. They start on page 11 so click through several pages  http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom-20?node=18&page=12

momjs

Answer by momjs at 2:08 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• You need to get her playdates with other girls going so she can make more friends. My kids both started a new school and she had 1 "best' friend then one day they got into it over something. But then my daughter started making other friends and going on various playdates.

That being said, at the age of 6 I wouldn't take any of this seriously. Girls quarrel all the time and go back and forth with being or not being someone's friend. As long as they aren't bullying her or anything, I wouldn't worry about it too much and it should pass quickly.

My daughters 'best friend' was back to being her best friend less than a week later and they were having another play date scheduled. Sometimes she comes home and wants a playdate with someone and then by the time it's scheduled, they aren't friends anymore. Then she goes on the playdate and they are hugging hello. That's just how it goes with girls...

LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 12:54 PM on Mar. 20, 2009