I NEED HELP ASAP!!!!

There is a girl coming to look at my dog tomorrow cause she wants to adopt him but Im having second thoughts. Actually Im 50/50 on it and dont know what to do.The main reason Im wanting to find him a new home is because I dont have the money right now to by a crate to potty train him and everyone seems to think that this is the only way to house break him.Plus I have a child that I have to look after so I dont have time to watch the dog every sec. to see if hes went pee or poop in the house.Heres the thing though, we have had him less then a week and he went pee in the house twice today but my husband and I left him alone for a couple of hours and he didnt potty in the house but when we took him outside he went potty so he held it for a little while.Then 15 min. later he barked over by our back door so I figured he wanted back outside but then when I let him out he went #2! So am I giving up to soon?Its just ruining my carpet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Pets

• u should of never got him if you have no time and no money to support him sorry but i say give him up
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 10:22 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I have money to support him just not spend 100s of dollars on a big crate for him. My other dog was already house broken befor we got him so we never needed one and plus I dont want to leave my dog locked up in a crate all day or even all night cause thats not fare when he sees my other dog just roaming around. I didnt relized how difficult it was going to be potty training him either. I have never had a puppy, we got are older dog when he was almost one and like I said he was already house broken. Thanks anyways
    Anonymous

• If you don't want the crate, don't buy it!! You can house break a dog without one, I've done it many times. Hang in there.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• You just need to teach him whats right, and whats wrong, just like with a child. You wouldnt lock your child in a crate if he had an accident right??
    Anonymous

• Crate training makes it much easier to potty train a dog (it's not the only way, but it does make things easier).  Crates also helps keep your dog safe.  This will prevent your dog from chewing or eating things that may be dangerous or lethal to your pet.  What happens when you are gone, and your dog chews on an electrical cord?  Not only could this kill your dog, but this could also cause damage to your home.  When dogs are bored, they find ways to keep themselves occupied (and chewing is one way they try to occupy their time with).
    Do what you feel is best for the dog.  If you cannot afford the dog and if you don't have time for it, then find it a home where it can get the attention it needs (and where it can be taken care of financially).

Anonymous

• We came very close to getting rid of our dog when we moved into our new house and didn't have a fence put up yet. A lady was ready when we gave the go-ahead (she worked w/ my dh) but I had gotten that dog for my dh a few years prior and we just couldn't do it. We hurried and put up a fence and are so happy in our decision to keep him. He is an awesome dog around our two kids and they just love him. I'm sorry I'm no help, but he too was never crate trained. It took a while, but he got it. I know it's tiring and frustrating, but hang in there. Maybe let the woman look and talk to her, but tell her you still have others coming to look or just not 100% sure yet. Then give it some more time to feel confident in your answer. GL
    liltymesmom

Answer by liltymesmom at 11:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• You dont need a crate to potty train yhim....its just easier. just let him out every hour or so and when he pottys bring him RIGHT back in. that way , he doesn't associate it with play time. It will take a couple of weeks plus, hes ina new environment and that could have something to do with it. if youre having second thoughts, just give the poor thing a chance. I potty trained 2 pitbulls without the use of crates and it took a few weeks. good luck:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Thank you to every one who answered my question and expecially liltymesmom, you hit home for me and I actually just got a phone call from the lady and she said that they have found another puppy who is closer to them. I was so happy when I got that phone call so I guess its ment to be. Now that I see how happy I am, I know that Im not ready to give up on my little guy. Also for the two who stated above that I dont have any time or am not financially stable to take care of him is a bunch of bull. My husband was laughing bc he was wondering were I put that we were poor and couldnt afford our puppy. Even if I had the money right at the moment to buy a crate I would choose against it because I dont like the fact of having him locked up. Thats my opinion though. Other women on here have given me great advice and I now know that its possible to house break him with out having a crate. Thanks again to everyone!
    Anonymous

• Actually you can get crates at Wall Mart for between $30 and $60, you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on them. You can use an old blanket or a couple of old bath towels for the bedding inside. Plus, they are washable! The crate should only be large enough for the puppy to stretch out to sleep in anyway. If you put the puppy in every night, and then take her outside to go potty first thing every morning, she will start to think of it as her den, her refuge and place of safety, not as a punishment. Like other poster said, you don't HAVE to have a crate though. Use lots of treats as rewards when she goes potty outside, and she is starting to get the idea if she barked to go outside to poop. Even if she did it accidentally, rewards her and it reinforces the idea in her head.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:57 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• YEA! I guess it wasn't meant to be :)
    We crate trained our little jack russell last year. I was like you in not wanting to confine him, but it really was for the best. He stayed in there during the night and learned to sleep at night with the rest of us. When we left during the day for short times, we'd put him in it to keep him safe and to keep my furniture from getting destroyed. It helped that my dh and I were both home during the summer since we teach and could help break him in. He loves our dog that I referred to in my other answer and decided one night that he was not coming in to go to bed. So during the winter, we made a kennel area in our garage w/ stuffing/bedding for them to stay cozy and warm together. They are the best of friends and it's so cute to watch them play together.
    liltymesmom

Answer by liltymesmom at 2:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2009