Could be an emergency!!!

My parents cat is in the process of having kittens as I type this...I think. This is her third litter, second since we've had her. At 1pm this afternoon we found her in her box with 2 kittens but she still looked fat. At 6pm there were still only 2 but when I checked again at 9, there were four. She STILL looks pregnant...I mean last time she had them she looked deflated afterwards...is it likely she will still have more? or could there be a complication?? What should we do???

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Pets

• u can try to call ur vet or emergency line for a vet and ask or u can just wait it out and hope shell be fine labor does take a while id give her no more then 24 hrs i guess
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 10:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I wish I could help but arent they supposed to come out one after another? I dont think there supposed to come out that far apart from eachother but Im not 100% on that. Is there an emergency pet hospital that you can call really quick?
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 10:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I had a dog that took over 12 hrs to have all her puppies, and all were okay.
    My mom used to breed exotic cats, and some of hers took several hrs to deliver the entire litter. She may just be tired, but keep your eyes on her. I hope all is well.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 10:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I'm sure your cat is fine. We had a barn cat that took 5 hours to have a litter of kittens (she ended up having 6 of them). Watch the cat, and make sure she is acting okay. As long as she is taking care of the kittens that she has, and if she doesn't act like she is in any additional stress (besides the pain/stress of labor) then she should be okay. Call the vet if you think there is something wrong. If you gently squeeze her lower abdomen, you will be able to feel if she still has babies in her. Animals don't always look "deflated" after giving birth. You can tell when a cat is pushing, make sure she isn't pushing for too long w/o giving birth.

Anonymous

• If she goes 1 hour contracting and no kitten then call the vet otherwise leave her be for now if you overwhelm her she may run and hide to have them and then youll have a not so pleasant surprise. My dog (and i know they are different) took 4 hours for 9 puppies the first 4 shot out in 30 min and then as there were less it took longer. After 8 i thought we were done and about an hour later (as i was sitting next to her) her belly started flipping around and out came number 9. Id get an emergency number ready just to be safe but relax she should be just fine. My vet told me (after i called 4 times) animals have been doing this without assistance for years, she knows what to do lol
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• get your poor cat fixed after all this.....geez.
    Anonymous