Baby is going through 3 week growth spurt and running out of pumped milk, what should I do??

My baby never latched correctly so I've been pumping my milk and feeding it to her in a bottle since she was born but now it seems I'm running out of milk because the baby is feeding sooo much lately. I have Alimentum formula because of a possible milk allergy but I haven''t had to use it yet. Is that my only option??

Liv32

Asked by Liv32 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO!! You should contact a lactation consultant and see if you can teach baby to latch on properly now! Also, when babies have growth spurts, they nurse more often and longer. You need to mimic that with your pumping. Pump EVERY 2 hours for at least 10-15 minutes and your supply will increase. Hang in there mama!!!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Get some support so you can get the baby back to the breast.
    Try a LC or your local La Leche League.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:39 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I would try more frequent pumping session just like if she were breastfeeding. Which might mean every hour even! I would try to pump every spare minute you can get. It's more important how often you pump than how long... so even 5 minutes would help! If you don't have a hand held one get one of those too... then you can carry it around with you and take advantage of a few minutes rather than having to run to your pump.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2009