Will you serve?

Involuntary Servitude Being Reinstated in Violation of 13th Amendment

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read.php?post_id=1424707&voted=1

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I understand what you are saying, and thank you for your service!

The problem is the complacency of the American people. Why do some families like yours have to bear the full responsibility of compassion for other people? Isn't that the main debate for why people dont want social welfare programs. They dont want their hard earned dollars given away to people on Welfare?

The problem that I have is, people have forgotten that being a citizen of this country comes at a price. We pay our taxes we "need" to serve our country. American's have gotten to the point where they receive a free ride. We dont have to do anything to establish our right to freedom and liberty. It should be MANDATORY for every child when they come to the age of 18 to serve, not necessarily military service but service. Birth right was not a condition for citizenship two hundred years ago, and it shouldn't be today either.

2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:36 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• There will be no draft.
    The qualifications for entering the military were lowered so far under Bush that there is no need for a draft. Now people in their early 40's with criminal records can enlist, and military recruitment is booming. Consider too, under this economy, for a lot of people losing their jobs or simply can't find work, the military is a safe bet for employment.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Once again, this is not mandatory.
    The service will be mandatory if you agree to participate in the program.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• The program is not mandatory, OP. Service is the requirement for participating in the program.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• To answer the question, "yes, I will!"

Second I just have to say, are we really this dense? Do we honestly think that we can recover from this economic crisis by sitting on our asses?? There is more to it then than investing in infrastructure projects and shoring up social services.
    The bill is designed to mobilize and encourage All Americans to serve people in their communities.
    It isn't as if there are no problems for them to address. i.e. such as tutoring or mentoring youth, helping older persons live independently, weatherizing homes.
    Have we become so absorbed as a society that we do not feel that it is our obligation to do service for this country? Think about how this will affect children? If they see their parents, neighbors, heroes, taking pride in this nation and their community, think about how it will impact their lives. We have been a nation of leaches for far too long, and it is time to give back.

2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• and since most Americans cant see the bigger picture, it should be mandatory. In the words of Kennedy.

"Ask not what your country can do for you . . . ask what you can do for your country!"
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• excuse me will I serve? first of all I don't sit on my ass. second I teach preschool and believe me I serve. third I have my own family to serve, who is going to serve my family? no one. I will serve the Lord and serve him only! and that's how its gonna roll.
    because as I serve the Lord it works out for the best for everyone, showing His love to everyone.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• i didn't read the article....but if it came down to it.... yea i would serve!!! i love my country and want to protect it!! my husband already serves as a paratrooper (airborne infrantryman) who is going ranger to become better and go back.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:04 AM on Mar. 20, 2009