when do you start using flash cards?

bella021

Asked by bella021 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You'd be surprised.....you can start flash cards as early as 3-6mths.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I didn't.
    It seemed better to actually look at 3 apples for '3'
    and look at written words in books and in speech to letter.

Flash Cards seemed, to me, to just treach 'taper-recorder' type answers, not real core learning/understanding of concepts that is obtained through actually doing things

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• i agree with kiter. We dont use flash cards. My son HATES them, and wont have anything to do with them. We use real life examples instead. Do what works best for you though, some kids really like them and do well them.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I don't think any child under 4 shouldn't be 'doing lessons'. It can hinder formation of neuron connections needed for proper sensory integration development. Kids need to touch/feel/do/move for comeplete learnng.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Flashcards? When they need to learn the addition or multiplication tables.

This is not the best way to teach a young child. Young children learn through play and exploration - not drills and workbooks. Forcing a toddler or preschooler to have "lessons" is a sure fired way to ensure he hates school by 5th grade. Any "gains" you make now, any bragging rights you have at the playground will be gone long before 5th grade in any case.

I'd suggest you do a little research into how preschoolers learn best and the research that has been done about the harm of forcing academics on your child too hard, too fast, and in a non-age-appropriate way.

Then check out sites like www.LetterOfTheWeek.com and www.StarFall.com for good ideas on playing with and teaching your young child at the same time. There's more to life than ABCs and 123s.

Keep it fun... build a life long love of learning.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I didn't start using flash cards until recently. My oldest loved playing with his Leap Frog toys and learned really quickly just playing with those.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I dont use flashcards for my daughter. I prefer a more hands on approach. Oh and thanks for web site recommendations Kaycee!
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 12:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2009