So if I get him to go to sleep at bedtime, what do I do when he wakes up in the middle of the night?

I'm wanting to start teaching my son to go to sleep on his own. I'm kinda agaisnt CIO but willing to try. My question is, if I can finally get him to go to sleep on his own at bedtime, what should I do when he wakes up in the middle of the night? Or will that teach him to soothe himself then too? I can't let him CIO in the middle of the night since he is in our room, and moving him out is not an option right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is little one?
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• If he is not hungry then letting him cry for a bit is not that bad. My girls learned this after only a week and the longest they cried was 5 min. MAX if they cried more it was because they were hungry or wet/dirty.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I mean the process only took a week....NOT they were a week old, GOSH that would be just mean!!!!!
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• ours is almost 5 months and he goes to bed at 9 EVERY night. he still gets up around 1, 4:30 and then usually 8 to eat each time. we just feed him a bit, but we make it a very relaxed setting, no loud noises, just change him, feed him soothe him and he goes back to sleep within 20-25 minutes.....hope this helped
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Oh he's 8 months sorry
    Anonymous

• Check out "the No Cry Sleep Solution" for some help.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:06 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Just let your lo cry when wakes in the middle of the night, after 5 minutes go in, pat back shush if need be, if your using a soother like a pacifer give it then, then lay back down, if they continue to cry do it all over again in 5 minutes.
    cry for 5 minutes, comfort 2 minutes DO NOT PICK UP UNLESS ABSOLUTLY NEEDED to calm down and soothe.
    after 3 nights of 5 minutes move to 10cry 2 comfort.....and so on...
    My son it took 2 weeks he was about 7 months old at the time now he 9 months.
    Good luck, stay consistant, that what is what matters.
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 1:22 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Oh yeah, I totally just starve my babies through the night and leave them in wet diapers. DAMMIT!!! It's night time!!! I need my rest. Jeez. If I can go a whole 12 hours without peeing or waking for a drink or a snack then my children better be able to!!!
    Ignore your child's cries. That is the best thing to do. Do it during the day, too. Put your child on a strict schedule- only pick him up or feed him for 30 minutes every 4 hours of the DAY! (Never at night..)
    So if he's up at 8am, feed him, spend 30 minutes with him, then leave him until 12:30.. Etc..
    Remember- when your child cries it's just a cry for attention. Children need to learn to self soothe, and they need to learn when it is appropriate to eat or ask mommy for attention. If you don't nip this in the bud now, your child will NEVER leave you alone!!! You need to be free to do waht you want through the day and get a full night's sleep at night.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:22 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• ***SLAPPING LIYONESS**** ah well I see you answered this before you changed your status so I'll let it go this time! But I better not see you 'round these parts again!! Only I am allowed to give myself an anyeurism!

Tee-hee :)
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• i seriously hope that Liyoness was just joking around..........cuz thats just cruel......Who would do that to their children???
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 4:58 AM on Mar. 21, 2009