Desperately need info on Vyvanse

I know I could look up the medical info, but I would like to hear from some real moms who have dealt with this medication and how did you child react? My daughters 9 yr old just got put on this and she is not happy with "medicating" him. The psychiatrist said he is showing some minor signs of ADHD, some focus problems and so try this. But we don't want to give him something that is going to change his personality or change who he is. We are more than willing to HELP him in any way, but not give him some meds just to make him a zombie or cookie cutter kids. He has a great personality and into lots of sports, all sports and has been since 4 yrs old. He is very outgoing and we are not willing to scacrifice HIM for the sake of making it easier on the system.

strtngovrmom

Asked by strtngovrmom at 11:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2009 in Health

• You can get him to pay attention when he is told. He started football last year, the dr upped his dose on the day of a practice. When they upped his dose he was just like a zombie !! He wouldnt move when someone came after him to knock him down. He would just lay there and finally 5 minutes later get him. The coach noticed and was ILL !! We did get the dr to put him back on the lower dose.. He also lost his appetite when they put him on these meds. We give him those nutritional shakes which are working out okay right now. Vyvanse is available in six dosage strengths: 20mg 30mg, 40mg, 50mg, 60mg, and 70mg. I would hope they start him on 20mg . I wouldnt say that he would be a zombie or change in personility too much, but it would help calm the nerves a little.
    JaceyandIndi

Answer by JaceyandIndi at 7:21 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Well.. I haven't dealt with Vyvanse but my little brother takes Adderall (sp?) . He is 7 and has signs of the ADHD - IE: He cant listen or pay attention in classes. He will not do homework or chores without being told 1 million times. He is just bouncing off the walls wanting to do something constently. He doesnt listen. He would drive you crazy. They then put him on the Adderall,small dose. He would listen in school and bettered his grades.
    JaceyandIndi

• Im sorry.. most of that may not make much sense. I am @ work. Good luck with everything though !!
    JaceyandIndi

Answer by JaceyandIndi at 7:22 AM on Mar. 21, 2009